Peter Jackson to Produce the "Halo" Film

Alltaken couldn’t of put it better, he was a great director long before LOTR, so before you start ranting get your facts straight blendermax.

Mystery

his first movie “bad Taste” …The camera used was a US$200 clockwork Bolex 16mm. The camera could only shoot about 30 seconds of footage before it would need rewinding.

I know I’m certain to upset somebody when I say this, but the LotR books are DEATHLY DULL! 1000 pages, of which 800 are about NOTHING HAPPENING! That Jackson was able to make a trilogy of films over this dull-as-dishwater crap that drew me in is something to be admired as far as I’m concerned.

And as I’ve already stated, executive producers contribute all but nothing to the production of a movie. They’re just paid to allow their names to appear in the credits.

I agree with you PassiveSmok, the books are dull. The reason they’re held in such high esteem is the fact that Tolkien created a world around the books. Not to mention that they are one of the prime examples of the English language. Peter Jackson took the dull biblical like battle descriptions and brought them to life.

Yes, i remember in the book, the troll scene was bout…half a page, and jackson turned it into a 15min+ awesome fight scene. I hope ILM or some big special fx company takes part in this. I love how Star Wars III was nearly half CG.

And the world that bungie has created is amazing, read the books, HALO’s story is one of the best in a game, atleast for an FPS, (cant compete with an rpg)

I hope they go as far back as him being trained as a spartan, from a 10year old (or somethin), and the fall of Reach. thought it might be interesting because, im sure bungie is gonna require master chiefs head not to be seen…

oh and mystery, halos plot is somewhat fresh, the only thing that i think comes close is that book, ring world or something (which i guess halo ripped off of, but still) Oh yeah, and HALO KICKED EVERYONE ELSES ASSES IN THE FPS CATEGORY AT THE TIME, think of another fps that was as great as halo? hmmm goldeneye (cough n64)? Extremely polished game.

(to bad they f’ed up h2, “ok so heres the plan, you get one tank, a jeep… oh and two marines, now save the world” and where were are the other spartans mmmhmmm?)

Ya they’re dull if you’re expected to be spoonfed nonstop action. I think they make serial fantasy books for that kind of crap. LoTR is where the grownups go to experience the setting and feel presented by the books. The LoTR trilogy was considered a classic long before the movie, and their place in the top tier of literature is uncontested.

Now the Silmarillion (the book describing the 30,000 years of so events leading up to LoTR) is considered by most to be extremely dry and laborous to read. It’s actually very similar to the Bible, and it has hundreds of weird sounding Elvish names you have to learn and remember to understand what’s happening.

Sigh…

Oh yeah, and HALO KICKED EVERYONE ELSES ASSES IN THE FPS CATEGORY AT THE TIME, think of another fps that was as great as halo? hmmm goldeneye (cough n64)? Extremely polished game.

COUNTER STRIKE, NOOB.
(For console fps games, I got much more replay time and overall fun out of Perfect Dark)

And last, if you are comparing Halo’s story to other video games, you have to take out the books that serve as a crutch to supplement that extremely weak story told in the games. Half-Life has it sooooo beat there.

Movies are almost never better than the book they are based on, NEVER!
LOTR is among the best books I’ve ever read, if you say they are dull then your are just not into that type of genre, and your entitled to your opinion, but the movie will never be as good as the books, not unless they’re ready to make a movie that follows the books word for word. Any book will always be a lot more detailed, movies are more of a visual aid for people with no imagination of their own.

Mystery

Hehehe, I got half way through the Silmarillion before I gave up :smiley: I’m proud of lasting that long, most people wouldn’t go further than the first page :stuck_out_tongue:

Mystery

Hee, I knew saying that would get some attention! :slight_smile: I’m sorry, but LotR just isn’t well structured, there’s nothing you could say to convince me otherwise. To me it seems like there’s a really good 200 page book in there struggling to get out from the 1000 pages of (admittedly intelligent, erudite) irrevelance. If LotR was written and submitted for publishing today, the editor would be clucking and reaching for his red pen in minutes.

A prime example is Tom Bombadil. I mean, sure he’s an interesting and enigmatic character, but he contributes nothing whatsoever to the story, other than to blow a huge plot hole into it. The ring is supposed to be universally corrupting, with only Sauron able to bend it to his will, yet this guy is totally unaffected by it.

Ditto for Faramir, who in the book sort of kidnaps Frodo and Sam but not really, gives them a cup of tea and tells them he wouldn’t take the ring if he found it lying on the side of the road. Jackson’s Faramir was a much better character, his temptation by and eventual rejection of the ring contrasting against his brother’s reaction.

Oh, and the “You have to be a grownup to like LotR” jibe wasn’t called for. I just prefer stories about characters and events than about old songs that have little relevence to the events that are actually taking place at the time. I like how Jackson alluded to that stuff in his films, but I also like that he didn’t go into much actual detail unless it was important to the story to do so.

Is this a good place to throw in that i thoroughly enjoyed LotR and the Silmarillion? Great literature.

I think Peter Jackson AND LoTR Movies are solidly “meh” worthy.

I also think Halo is overwhelmingly mediocre. I have yet to figure out why it was/is so popular. The only thing I can think of is that it’s the only console game out there that has sufficient multiplayer support. It has everything that every other FPS and nothing more.

However, the HL series, along with DoD, DoD:S, CS:S, FEAR, DOOM 1, and wolfenstien 3D (and oldy but a goody!), Call of Duty, as well as others for the PC have been not only entertaining, but have brought something new to the genre.

Back on topic, this movie will be seen by Halo players everywhere simply because of alligence. I went to see Doom (it sucked, btw) simply for nostalgia. This movie will blow but it will make money and that doesn’t matter since thats what everything having to do with Halo is about.

</anti-halo rant>

Okai…

Deep breath…

I have been a Hlao fan since 96, when the game was only in concept. WHen most people look at Halo, they say…meh, just some green dude fighting purple aliens. Okai, I understand. But look at the roots of Halo, it was inspired by the novels: Ring Worlds, and Jason Jones and few others set out on makeing this game follow some of the books but in a diffrent age. With Halo, the good parts are no blowing covies away or playing with 1 of 9 vehivles, or the physics or the graphics etc., it’s the story that brings the game to life! I have read all the stories including the halo bible and Reach. If you read those books you will see what the game is about.

Most people picture Master Cheif (main char) as this unstopable superhuman. NO! Evan JHoseph Staten, story writer for Halo games states that MC is more than that, he is not winning the ennemies are, this is not a heroism story…it’s a story of survival, human instinct and the fate of humanity.

They also use the actual bible to write this story. : Get it , MC’s code name is John: 117.

Halo is not just another run and gun game. You must look deeper than gameplay, deepe that what you see on the screen and you must look into the develpoers heart to realize what they set out to acomplish.

And don’t evan get me started on the Music by Marti O’donnel. Great orchestral stuff!

Bungie is working with the movie directors in-depth to bring us, the fans a movie we expect and no some quick money scheme.

End of this rant…

I think it might work if they combine the stories from HALO 1 & 2. The first one was pretty straight forward. I think the second one was deeper with the addition of the covenant perspective. I think it could easily be better than Doom but not as good as say Blade Runner.

I would like to see a Star Wars movie based on Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR 1). I think it would have been more interesting than the prequels.

omg you guys i cant beleve your making such a big deal about a couple of movies i mean comon be a little more mature. this is you “but he said somthimg bad about peter jackson” oh boo hoo the guy made very good movies i have to give him that but he is still a fat guy sitting in his directers chair ranking in the money (now his esecutive producers chair).

and LOTR trilogy was a great trilogy but it is also a trilogy that i bought at a discont store for 5 bucks so its not that great well not as great as you guys are makeing it sound and like a lot of you have said it is one of the longest and boringest trilogy ive read and take a few million years to read so if you have a huge (elvish) vocabulary and a lot of spare time by all means go read the book its cool.

and for all you people out there bashing halo your just mad because one you dont have the awsome game or two YOUR RETARTED. i mean HL2 is a great game two but the muliplayer doesent even come close to Halo and the plot is classic i mean yes super humans, aliens, and saving the world is all used up but what great game (or movie) doesent have that i mean isent that everyones dream? plus i mean the flood a gigantic prison in the shape of a ring an ancient alien race with its own religion and everything sound pretty damn origonal to me to me. plus the gameplay i mean halo one for its time (meaning we have much better stuff now) had the best graphics ive ever seen and the gamply was awsome and still is. so guess what im trying to get at is halo is one of the best and well rounded games out there and a great big shout out to the people at Bungie for making an exalent game.

I guess the whole thing im sayings is movies, games, and books might all be very good and you can respect that but for god sakes is cheap entertainment not a religion so i dont know what you guys think im going to the halo movie because i dont care about one fat guy i mean our govewrnment and media is already screwed up as it is and one guy doesent even matter and i like um whats his name said i wanna see how that screw up another great game in movie :smiley: Lol so why dont you all just grow up (you to you LOTR nerds)

P.S. its great to be back and srry for all the typeos

not actualy only tellin this to weedmonkey but many others that here have posted…

J.R.R. Tolkien started writing the books with “Silmarillion”, and he started them because he WAS creating an elfish language(ALL ALONE), so anyway well there isnt any language with out an myth behind it.
YES thats why he started the “Silmarillion” off.
Actualy Silmarillion was allso the last book he ended (if you can count it ended). The Hobit and the Trilogy were made in the middle of the progress… anyway at first he started the books for the language thats why there is so much elven names too… thats my point…

if you want to know more details about j.r.r.'s life then>>> YOU GOOGLE IT OR SOME THIN SIMILAR.

ahh my heart is less harder now…

for the movie of HALO why the ( f’word) do you talk bad bout it, better hope ittl be good!! ^^

EDIT

So you all know didn’t mean to hurt anybodys feelings nor anything… :wink:

Kashoki, the story in some collection of books doesn’t change the fact that the story presented in the games is extremely narrow and poorly told (the ending of Halo 2, someone should die for that).

What’s the point of even making stories in games at all when we can just make books to supplement our poor story presentation skills.

weedmonkey:
Calm down and try not to insult everyone at once. Your viewpoint is just that, a viewpoint, and doesn’t really carry any weight whatsoever.

My friend has Halo, whenever we get bored we go to his house and play it. I, for one, can hardly stand the game. Some parts I do like (whacking people with weapons, for example), but I’m used to playing SOCOM games for PS2, and being able to get headshots on people without sniping. No headshots is what I’d call retarded, not the people that don’t like Halo. Now, allow me to address points one and two seperately.

Point one:
I’m not mad that I do not own Halo. I’m glad I don’t. I prefer realism. Next point.

Two:
I was going to respond to this, but I think I’ll take the high road and not throw petty insults at you. You’ll find that backing up your opinions instead of insulting others and trying to drag them down to your level will add more… validity to your posts.

Enough out of me, I need sleep.

I don’t have halo, nor a silly xbox for that matter…

Martin

1: i wasent trying to make my opinion sound like it was all based on the game halo because its not i was saying it was a good game and i dont really care if you dont like it (although in my opinion you have no taste in video games) and i too get bored oh halo easaily but that doesent make it a bad game

2: you dident get my point, most of you on this topic (most not all) are crying about some movie that is coming up but you dont see is that movies, books, and games, are all cheap entertianment and to do once and maybe do twice if it is cool but tahts it, not to make a big deal about it or make it a religion (cough cough LOTR) so i wasent trying to insult anyone for that matter i was just merly saying that its not a big deal or somthing to cry over and thats it.

3: whats wrong with wacking people jeeves its kinda fun you should try it :slight_smile:

well I,ve been an halo fan since it came out with the xbox, first game I bought. FPS wise, I felt like it was one of the greatest game on consoles.

I do agree that the story presented in the game isn’t well presented. It could be way better. As far as the end of halo2 goes, I kind of liked it. :stuck_out_tongue: (even if I wanted to kill someone when it arrived…)

But, the books that gives the back story and all, awesome stuff. One of the greatest sci-fi story I read/saw.

This said, I’m sure the movie will be crap, as all the other game based movie have been…but, well, there is still some hope…