Petition for a "Back of the Shed" forum

I know this idea has been thrown around on and off for a long time, but let’s see how many people are still interested in having a loose chat forum.

The idea is similar to the already existing OT forum, but with more freedom. Like the casual insult thrown at the unexpecting n00b, or a feisty rebuttal by said n00b, general “I’m drunk” threads, and anything that isn’t appropriate for OT anymore. Spam would quickly be dumped into this forum, and the culprit would soon have his thread turned into a crazy picture association thread or a phylosopical debate on the nature of forum advertising. Likewise, fanboys would be granted a somewhat rude awakening as their threads are mass-flushed in the backhouse behind the shed.

Post yer opinions, you frivolous buttplugs!

You mean like one of those forums run by/for 14 year old candy ravers?

Um, how can I put it?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!111

I don’t think Timothy or Goofster will go for this, as all it does is suck up bandwidth for stuff that doesn’t belong here in the first place.

BgDM

Noes!!11oneone

This isn’t slashdot or comedy central. Around here we like to keep a decent signal to noise ratio. And that’s all I have to say.

The response is somewhat expected, I have to say. I know, elYsiun has always had a “let’s be serious” policy. However, I’ve seen this idea implemented in other forums with varying success, however usually towards the positive end of the scale. Basically just a hangout area. Even forums like DevShed have it, and it’s really just a place to casual gabbidy-gabbidy among people from a forum, people who know eachother.

I understand the fear that the forums will get out of hand with spammers feeling inclined to open their mouths, however, if done properly, it could be a lot of fun. For people to take the piss out of spam/bogus/BS threads instead of just getting them locked and forgotten. This would be the place for Bwarghs, Al Capone’s vastly enticing news fads, valar’s and my trolling, etc.

I restated my first post in that last sentence, hopefully to drive the point home.

All points considered, in the end it’s not my decision, anyway.

Cheers,

Tom

The response is somewhat expected, … and my trolling, etc.

Noooo(b) !

Apparently you already know lots of places to hang out, go there, we don’t need it here.

I agree with the majority of replies. This is not the place for that kind of posting. :o

a “lock me now!!!” forum?.. no thanks

“Yesh!” looked pathetic with only 1 vote, so I decided to help it out a little… Don’t really feel strongly either way.

Ok, I admit to being lame: I voted “Yesh!” on my own poll.

What happens when the pros come to check out our community and we have this nasty board of immaturity making us look like a bunch of kids?

NO

If it doesn’t fit here, it’s probably hopelessly irelevant or irreverent.

I think it might be a good place to vent and just be silly, but I ultimately voted no.

One of the main reasons I like this place so much is because of the maturity people here display. If elYsiun turned into something like this, I’d be gone in a flash.

I’m not sure this is a good idea, but I’d like to suggest a name for the proposed forum: The Spam Can

This is a dumb idea.

Not “let’s be serious”, just “let’s not be idiots”. I just don’t see how having somewhere specifically so you can be an idiot, and posting in it, appeals to anyone.

Like, an off-topic section? Brilliant! If only we had one… %|

Yea, let’s let the 12 year old tha WeirdHat is make the decisions. %|

I mean, he’s obviously read my posts and is referring to their entirety rather than cherrypicking the parts which he could shatter with his brilliant logic:

O RLY?

Oh, and you insulted all the people that voted for “Yesh!” in the poll:

Not “let’s be serious”, just “let’s not be idiots”. I just don’t see how having somewhere specifically so you can be an idiot, and posting in it, appeals to anyone.

Way to go. And this guy’s a moderator, gimme a break. %|

Believe it or not, time has actually moved forward since four years ago…

What’s the point of responding specifically to all the parts I don’t think are wrong? You were wrong about “let’s be serious”, I said so, and segued from that in the next sentence to saying my opinion about your idea in general. My last sentence was intended to imply that I think having an off-topic section is quite enough, we don’t need two, especially if the second one is (and this is what your idea is) a place specifically so you can be an idiot in it.

And if you think I’m insulting people by summarizing your idea bluntly, then you’re insulting them by having the idea in the first place and thinking that most people here would spam, flame, troll, whatever, if they could. I think the results of the vote show that they wouldn’t, and I think that implies that the elysiun community is pretty intelligent.

You still have failed to realise that cherrypicking is bad practice. You missed the gist of my posts in your previous reply by selecting the points that you disagreed with, not considering their context. You failed to refer to the development of the idea, but rather chose to dwell on any ambiguity that you found within individual sentences.

As regards…

And if you think I’m insulting people by summarizing your idea bluntly, then you’re insulting them by having the idea in the first place and thinking that most people here would spam, flame, troll, whatever, if they could.

It’s ok to admit that you were wrong by being so presumptious as to assume that people would act that way. Rember, you implied that people who agreed were idiots, not me. Just because you believe it’s not a good option doesn’t mean you have to claim that people who disagree would behave like idiots. Most of the other people who disagreed managed to do so in a civil manner, without insulting anybody. You didn’t.

Even if we did have an uber off topic forum, there would still be some things that would be inappropriate even there. In a forum with a little bit more freedom, those things would just be more likely to happen.

“Insults thrown” and “feisty rebuttals” as you said–even if were permitted–in any forum, could turn personal and bleed into the Blender related forums (another Kansas_15 incident anyone?).

The other use for such a forum, as you mentioned, would be a dumping place for spam. Pesonally, I think the only place to put spam is in the trash. I don’t think there’s that much of a need to give people the opportunity to continue to talk about it.

And as has been mentioned earlier, we need to think about new comers to this site as well. This is the official Blender community forum. We are representatives of Blender, and should keep the forums as civilized as humanly possible.

We already have a place for civilized off topic stuff. And the same things that we won’t put up with in a Back of the Shed forum are the same things we won’t put up with in the Off Topic forum.

Yea, let’s let the 12 year old tha WeirdHat is make the decisions.

This is why we don’t have a spam forum, and this is exactly why we won’t listen to you next time or even now. In order for people to have a spam forum they have to be civilized and this proves you can’t be.

I’d have read your posts as a whole, but things like this just set me off:
-Yea, let’s let the 12 year old tha WeirdHat is make the decisions.

-I mean, he’s obviously read my posts and is referring to their entirety rather than cherrypicking the parts which he could shatter with his brilliant logic

-Way to go. And this guy’s a moderator, gimme a break.

If --under fire-- you cannot control yourself, act civilized or generally not be an ass back there’s little point in having a lightly moderated forum. A spam oriented one to boot.

You keep alluding to people who piss on spam threads, but I fail to understand the difference between good spam and bad spam you keep referring too. All spam is bad. I’ve not been to a single forum where a spam forum or thread wasn’t a waste of space or worse: a where all the forum riff-raff congregate, where they reinforce each others bad attitudes and behavior which then spills into the other forums. This equals more work and time by the moderators and administrators who have to clean up.

The many spam threads on this forum should’ve shown to all of us by now that they don’t work out. Besides, you complain about people who “piss on” other spam threads getting them locked and generally making them too spammy. Thus you’d probably want some moderation to tell people to “not spam too much but no too little.” Whatever that means. I’m not wasting my time moderating another forum, especially one as useless as that.