Phoenix Smith's Sketch Book

Blocking out some proportions and shapes for a mech, focusing on general shape before jumping in to hard surface details for once…

Refining the head and chest:

Progress:

1 Like

Shoulder and back work, plus reworking some decals temporarily:

Starting the arms in an unposed version:

Lots of progress, rigged the new arms and slapped them back together with the torso:

5 days timelapse:
https://gph.is/2KTLTsu

Leg work and torso detailing (some of the joints still need to be carved away so that the limbs could actually pivot):

1 Like

Pretty close to wrapping up modeling and decals and moving on to materials for tommorow:

7 day timelapse:

1 Like

Fast little tank I speed modeled/textured today:

Wow! You did that in a day? Very impressive. Is that all texture painted, including the normal map? Or did you use already existing materials and images?

Thank you. I baked down a high poly version for some of the precise details, which I will post as well. Then I used substance painters normal map stamps for some of the small local details.

High poly original:

Sketchfab:

1 Like

Nice. For some reason normal map baking totally skipped my mind. Anyway, great work my friend.

Blocking out another concept mech:

Progress:

First human ever I think W.I.P (too many robots evidently):

Texturing in Substance painter and post pro in PS, the cape was simulated with a little hand sculpting:

Model:

Ears are terrible terrible things that I wish made any kind of spacial sense (feeling this way means I should do a few scores worth to improve I guess):

It’s certainly not a bad ear. It’s pretty good considering you don’t do humans ever. Actually it’s probably better then most ears I do! :laughing:

Thank you. I think mostly my dislike for humans has been how objectively good or bad you do. Monsters and mechs are a lot more subjective but most people have opinions with anything to do with humans. :stuck_out_tongue: Regardless, I am going to try to improve my organics over the coming months.

Starting work on a speeder bike, I finally remember to record this time as well so a full time-lapse should be coming once completely done: