Phoenix Smith's Sketch Book

Low poly conversion and UVs complete, normals looks decent. Final tri count is around 7k:

Stock practice:

I got progressively better topology redoing, but 3 seems like the best maybe.

Blockout phase and trying to decide what foregrip looks best:

Progress:

And AWP grip:

As a side note, I would like to point anyone who likes hard surface modeling or 3d in general to check out Arrimus 3D (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSLLdTBwLMfTKWS56tOiQpw/videos). His vids are all in 3dsmax or Zbrush, but his worflow is fairly easy to follow in Blender, and following him work has really helped me.

2 Likes

Wow, nice progress over the years.
Very nice work on hard surfaces too!

your work is already good but I think it could use more realism in gun’s character:

so first things first like every gun company it could use a label or two.
and also maybe a safety trigger for the gun.
and a little more complexity on your hard surface with it’s own logic (like adding a rough surface before the Bolt so the shooter wont place his/her hand on it in case of firing)

and of course more Screws with easy to use army mechanism. I worked with old guns and most of them have this kind of screws that can be rotated and go out easily. don’t know about the new ones! :smiley:

@Weekend Thank you, I enjoy being able to see what 13 year old me thought was interesting way back then. Good feedback as well. I will try to place some more screws on my next piece along with a safety and some more situational details like you mentioned. Thanks!

Practice:

Little more progress:

Reworking some stuff:

4 Likes

Sculpts and progress:

About 1 month progress of lots of head sculpts:

2 Likes

Speed model/texture testing high poly → low poly workflow with hardops instead of bevel + subsurf:

2 Likes

Blocking out a plague doctor character and a entry for the weekly blender discord competition “unwelcome guest”:

Also further progress on dude bust:
Image%20002 Image%20001

2 Likes

Some more sculpting and some lighting work. Considering adding some snow piles and snow flakes in post for a more cold feel, or maybe instead a more warm nighttime environment we will see how it goes, one way or another the wood frame cant be so bright and attention grabbing:

Lots of progress on the wall, lamps, snow, and general feel of the scene. Everything needs a lot more tweaks and the hands and sickle need a lot more modeling/texturing work. Overall pleased with how the image will feel though:

1 Like

Almost finished, I am going to fix the tangent of the sickle on the door post and then call it done I think:

Final submission, 3 days worth of work:

Little timelapse:

2 Likes

Just picked up marmoset toolbag and messing with my lamps from the last scene:

Blocking out a scene for the new weekly contest megastructure:

Throwing some crap together:

Trying to learn substance designer for my pyramid scene:

2 Likes

Trying? Looks like you got the hang of it pretty well!