Phonemes on (short cut N) menu

In Blender 2.79b under the N menu is a Phonemes menu with nine slots. I know how to do the ten phonemes using shape keys, but this looks less time consuming. The Blender 2.8 documentation doesn’t mention this.
Pic is attached.
Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on how to specifically use these.

You won’t find those in the Blender docs because they’re not a feature of Blender. They’re part of either a character rig or an add-on.
Where did your character rig and the lip-sync importer come from?

Easiest way is to use a custom property if all you want is the sliders. Or you can do a little python to make it pretty.

Thanks for the info. That gives me an idea where to find out more about it.
I have LipSync Importer and Rhubarb. And using MBL and MH.

Thanks for the info.

I did poke at lip-sync a while back but never really followed it through. One thing I did find was that having the viseme controls in the N panel got in the way. The importer I looked at wanted to keyframe shapekeys, and the N panel controls need drivers set on the shapekeys. Best work around I came up with was duplicate shapekeys. One set that could be controlled manually and one set that could be keyframed by an importer. I’m sure there are probably more elegant solutions, even so far as to edit an importer script to keyframe custom properties in the N panel, rather than directly keyframing the shapekeys.

I don’t know. I just see you building the same tripwire I built for myself a couple years ago.

You can just throw some bones in as a switch board panel and animate the shape keys with bone drivers by just moving the bones. This is the way I normally do it. Then you can just label the bones using a shape to represent the different sounds.

That seems to be the most direct way. I tried that with Rhubarb, but when trying to import the dat and wav files, nothing works. Went back to lipsync importer on MH.

I’ve gone back to the shape key way, and now using it on MBL. I gues I was trying to look for a short-cut, because doing it through shape keys can be arduous. Phonemes are a learning curve for me, but I do get it.