Photo-Real Highrise with Interior

Thumb update:

Here’s a little side project I’m working on for a while…

A while back I was looking for photo-realistic highrise buildings, if possible with a fully modelled interior - so I can also show them in closer shots.
But the few such buildings I found on marketplaces have 2 million faces or more.
Too much to build a little city with them.
This kind of teased me. Isn’t it possible to create such buildings in a different way? Using much less polys and being able to duplicate and customise them, without raising the poly count?

So here are some first tests I did…

These two buildings are around 40 and 50 floors high.
All in all they use only 17’000 faces / 22’000 verts!
And the coolest thing - I could repeat them, with different looks and heights, as often as I wanted to and all of them together would not use more than 20’000 faces. :wink:

33 Likes

An optional facade detail…maybe a bit too lowpoly for this distance… :thinking:
Gosh, I fight for every poly. :grin:

3 Likes

All modeled or composition? Nice work

1 Like

It’s all modelled. That’s why I try to keep the polys so low. :wink:
The ceiling lights are procedural, though.

With very few clicks I could have more or less floors, a different facade, more or less lights, a different rooftop, and so on. It’s pretty cool.

for distend views you can follow the technique called interior mapping.

Just a suggestion.
3 Likes

Nice,i guess its instancing

1 Like

Yep, I’ve watched this video a while ago. Parallax mapping is a great technique. Almost seems like magic. :wink:
It has a few drawbacks though. Furniture inside the room is ‘stuck’ (resp. ‘printed on’) to the walls. So the bigger the room behind the window, the more obvious this cheat becomes. That’s why it works well for a lot of small rooms behind each window. For a big offices space it’s not ideal. Plus - it can look repetitive very quickly. Unless you create lot’s of different shaders. So it’s really helpful for games. But for photorealistic scenes it only works for distant shots, as you write.

That’s why I was looking for a way which looks good no matter what. From any distance. By not cheating the geometry - but by reducing and multiplying it cleverly.
So you can use the same buildings. Once you built a skyline you can also fly past buildings pretty closely and they still look good. Or you can use them only in the distance, as they use very little polys, anyway.
I’m pretty chaotic and like to keep many options open. :wink:

Yep, sort of. It’s using particle systems.

1 Like

it is using only materials not particles

I know my, friend.
The ‘particles’ was the answer to Pixelgrip about what I’m using. :wink:

My bad :grin: :grin: :grin: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Quick test of a Brutalist version of the same building. Just the basic floors for now. Random elements and details still missing. I think it could be cool as well…

4 Likes

I like all of your glass building images, each in their own way.

“Brutalist?” Not so much. No one would invest that much concrete into a building – especially not now.

1 Like

Agree, the glass versions are the better ones. I also made the building for those.

Brutalist is more a matter of taste. Personally, I like this kind of architecture. But obviously the whole interior is a bit wasted for such small windows. :wink:
This style would not be built nowadays, by the way. This is architecture from the 50ies and 60ies. Plenty of concrete around at that time. Ha, ha, ha.

In general I think it’s cool to have a range of different facades, which I can choose from with just one click. It’s not much more work but it makes this building much more versatile.

Hello there,

I recently saw on Twitter a post related to render an interior shader.
Here is the link just in case… https://twitter.com/FAGIOLOVOLANTE/status/1310098160669396993

And I like the “Brutalist” style too! :wink:

Thanks Hervus2.

I know these interior shaders. But they only work for small rooms. For open space offices the trick is too obvious, since it only simulates walls. The ‘furniture’ in such shaders is only a picture on those walls. The actual room is empty.
That’s why I was looking for a way to have actual geometry for the interiors / furniture - without using many polys.

Played around with a more ‘artistic’ roof design for the very same building.
Combined it with one of the optional facade details. Ahhh…there are soo many possibilities …

3 Likes

…fooling around… :slight_smile:

6 Likes

excellent! really dope!
did you try with eevee, could make an excellent travelling camera movement.

1 Like

Thanks a lot Balda.

Unfortunately these buildings have a lot of glass, reflective surfaces, transparencies and mesh lights. All things which Eevee is not really good at.

The glass I could adapt - but to use lightprobes for mesh lights and reflections for such big buildings would slow down Eevee a lot. Even more so as the lightprobes would need to be extremely detailed.

The Cycles render times are quite reasonable I think. If the buildings are further away it’s really fast. If the buildings fill most of the frame as in the picture above, then it takes some time, obviously. I think for the picture above it was 30min on CPU (8 core) only. (Unfortunately I can’t use my GPU on a Mac.)

I definitely wanna do animations with this building at some point…with Cycles. :wink:

2 Likes