Photo-realistic Point Density Clouds in 2.5

I’ve been messing with point density clouds lately trying to get a more random, realistic result than I can with the generator implemented in the current Blender releases (not to take anything away from Nick Keeline).
I think I came up with a really good method I haven’t seen anyone else using (as of yet) and wanted to get yous guys’s opinion on the result.
This does not use the generator, nor do you have to use turbulence on the point density texture (which I find x’s the render time, on my system anyway…), but you still can, and the results are still awesome!! :smiley:
The render is just a simple sun/sky lamp with the clouds - nothing fancy, but I’m working on a composition with this in mind…

I’m thinking about doing a quick tutorial on this too; anyone, anyone…? Bueller, Bueller…?

Attachments

Nice, but it’s far from “Photo-realistic”. Take a look at Terragen for Photo-realistic clouds.

Saying “Photorealistic” is hard with Blender Internal anyway :slight_smile:
However, that cloud is probably as close to it as Blender currently gets. A really nice cloud.

Thanks guys!
@reck - To true - Terragen is great!!, unfortunately unless you can port their volumetric scheme into blender it does us no good…
@reck & kram - yeah I may have overstated the “photo-realism” but for not having a real implementation of a cloud simulator (not generator, one approximates the look, the other makes clouds, which I’m surprised no one has figure out yet) it’s better than we’ve been able to produce in the past right?? Guess I should’ve put “More realistic clouds in 2.5” huh?

Anyways it’s lit a bit wonky, sun to the back, but I wanted people to see that there’s seperation, internal shading, and variation in the density…
I’m still tweaking my texture stack to finnesse a better result before I used the compositor for more…

the thing that they are missing the most now, are cool light beams between the sun and the “border” of the cloud :slight_smile:
But that’s probably rather hard to add… Except maybe if it works with a super low density volumetric material…