[solved ]Photomontage with fspy - position of background image, rendering and shadows

Hello,
I happened to find the great tool “fspy” to determine the (most likely) camera position for a background image. Works really nice!

But now, I’d like to render the piece, and the background image placed by fspy does not render. With the “import images as plane” addon it’s very easy to import a rendering image. But - where shall I place it? - fspy seems not to deliver coordinates and orientation. I placed an issue into github, but I’m not certain whether the programmer will deliver a usable answer.

Can someone give me a hint?

Cheers,
Wolf

Hey.

You’re in luck - such addons never worked for me and I had to rely on good ol’ eye gauging (implied pun intended).

Anyway, I think the best way to do this would be through the compositor assuming the image you were using was used as a camera background. If not, then I don’t think I understood you well enough to offer advice.

Thank you for your reply. HERE you can find an example file. In fact, the background image is a camera background - but I’m unable to somewhere get hold of it, all I can see and manipulate is the camera item. I never used the compositor (I’m not at all skilled in blender), so I have no idea how to make use of it to make the image renderable.

Cheers,
Wolf

Took me awhile…Not sure why but I am going to guess it is because FSpy is a tool to get camera setting and it assumes that the user is remodeling the scene and going to add textures and lights and not render the image…BUT if in the 3d Viewport, select View>Render Viewport Image it works…

BackCamera

If you turn OFF all of Viewport Overlays the image will vanish again…so select just the ones you want, like origins/cursor etc. I changed the alpha value in the camera / background settings…so that is something else you can play with.

I don’t know how to render the image that you see directly in the camera object.
Here is the compositing setup. It is just like using nodes for materials.
http://pasteall.org/pic/f3cb11fad6c9c4df4df319d5d06ab2ff

Not sure whether you noticed that the object is not positioned properly. I marked the ground perspective with dotted line.

@ RSEhlers
Are you sure that shadows are produced? - In my example, the are not, and I think I cannot see them in yours. AFAIK, shadows are the main difference between viewpoint view and render result - and I’d really like to get them…

@ Kogomat
Very much true, my positioning is still at very beginners’ level, I#ve got to work on it.
I tried to reproduce you suggestions - but I still do not get shadows. True? - Or did I make mistakes?

If you need the 3d objects to cast shadows on the ground, then you need to switch the render engine to cycles, create a plane for the ground, and set it to be a shadow catcher:

After that, use the node setup Kogomat showed you.

Thank you very much for the key word “shadow catcher”. For 2.8, I mainly used this tutorial. But there are some. I needed to enlarge the shadow lenghts at the lights’ settings, but in the end I succeeded.

Shadows are still too hash, and the positioning of my objects is questionable - but I’m on the way.

Thank you very much for all your effort, with. At the end of the day, I should aggregate all your hints in a “photomontage tutorial” to give all your knowledge back to the community. Let’s see whether I’ll get that done.

Cheers,
Wolf

If you need to soften the shadows, you can do that by enlarging the light source (it’s the angle setting on the sunlamp).