Photoreal Pantheon Project

We are building a photoreal quality Pantheon that seeks to be historically accurate but also enjoyable to explore for those interested. Looking for people that want to help out with the project and also people that would like to experience the building through modern virtual reality headsets and other options (like a full walking simulator in UE4/5). I am aware of other projects but this one is attempting to build what people want.

A general model has been built, but it is currently not 100% complete and lacks textures. I recently rendered some 360 degree panoramas, which can be viewed here: https://roundme.com/tour/666920/edit/2113151

What do you think would be of value for this project?

Some of my ideas are:

-Interactive simulation, e.g. change the sun position, experiment with the idea that the Pantheon was a sundial
-Time travel mode, where you can experience how it looked at various times in history. Did you know the portico was once buried so deep people had to descend down into it?
-Interactive comment system where the public/academics can suggest improvements or historical inaccuracies

Looking forward to feedback, suggestions, and collaborators.

7 Likes

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

One of my favorite buildings! I had no idea it had been buried at one point. Amazing.

I think the portico ceiling once a bronze castings and decorations, but they were taken by the Catholic church when building the Vatican. Do you plan on trying to recreate that too?

Yes, the bronze castings will be modeled eventually also.

See attached image of steps leading down onto the portico, strange to think it was buried so far down. Suggests it was neglected for a long time? The entire far side of the portico is walled up also. Those three columns were ruined and have been replaced by some from another site.

portico steps

2 Likes

Do you plan to make it “in color”?
Mean, Greeks use very vivid, saturated colors, we all know his statues and architecture as white, but in real they are painted.

1 Like

Well thats what I hoping I will get some help with.

Would you like to texture it?

Polychromy research is revealing some very cool hidden history. But I don’t think it is advanced enough to know how to accurately represent the Pantheon. However I havent looked into the Pantheon specifically. I guess its just the mouldings and column capitals that might be lacking paint as all the other surfaces are very nicely textured.

1 Like

Corinthian Capital details

1 Like

I’ve been in Pantheon a couple of times and I’ve heard it’s a majestic sight when rain pours down from the opening in the ceiling. Perhaps one render with rain?

1 Like

Scientists have come to the conclusion by analysis which colors (pigment) were used, but no one can say with certainty what it all looked like in reality. I’ve seen some reconstructions, but it’s all with a great deal of artistic freedom. Anyway, the colored versions would be interesting. btw. Personally I more love black in white version.
PS. I can help with texturing… I’m sure that many people also are wiling to help such project. But this is serious task, advice from expert for this field are necessary.

1 Like

Sure, nothing is certain & every retrograded reproduction is an approximation but, it can be said with very high probability how it looked like.
Here’s an example https://buntegoetter.liebieghaus.de/en/

2 Likes

Thanks for the great link. I’d seen that exhibition on a youtube video. Do you know if any columns are known to have been coloured?

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Whoops, I forgot to add the link!

1 Like