photoreal rain?

I have tried animation tests. Most of the time the effect does not make enough impact to justify makeing the render time 5X longer. I only use it for high-motion scenes where it would look bad without the motion blur.

Yes, I was told so, but with motion blur alone I always get poorer results than with both (expecially when I use motion blur to fake DoF)

Stefano

Yes, I imagine that it wouldn’t work as well for DOF, simply because of the static nature of it, and because of the limited number of samples that Blender can take.

I think that it would be nice if Blender had a REYES renderer. Then it could more easily do anti-aliasing, motion blur, and DOF with the same pass. And, of course, it would be asymptotically faster (i.e. it would be faster on highly complex scenes). And there are a host of other things that REYES renderers can do, that scanline renderers can’t (subpixel displacement mapping, for instance).

It would also be nice if Blender had integrated raytraceing. However, no improvements to Blender are going to occur any time soon due to the “issues” over at NAN