Physical Starlight and Atmosphere Addon for 2.9 (v1.4) - now with Clouds!

I am very much looking forward to the new update! Being able to forgo free HDRI’s that have been pre-processed in favor of a physically accurate sky will be a breath of fresh air.

I’d like to ask, will the new update be compatible with Photographer’s new update that adds Lux units to the Sun light?

3 Likes

With this addon I’ve been wanting to have some hdri’s with transparent sky, so just pitching in the idea here in case somebody havent thought the idea and could even do and sell them

:thinking:

The update is great mate but i still have to manually add the StartlightAtmosphere node to the material in order to get the fog to give atmospheric depth. Thought this was automated with this release?

it is not well documented and probably the button is not intuitive enough:
toggle

if you press the button, every material in the scene will receive fog. also newly created ones.
disabling it will remove the fog node for all the materials.

documentation is coming up.

3 Likes

Finally!!!
It has been a long journey from 1.1 to 1.2.

I can’t wait for your feedback :slight_smile: I know feature wise it is not much, but we worked hard to make it beautiful (UX and code wise)

v1.2 changelog:

• Sun can be rotated and animated via UI gizmo or SunPosition addon
  • Panel moved to World settings
  • Optional Properties panel (enabled by default)
  • Reset to default values button added
  • Sun and sky radiance is now accurate and represent real world values (watt/m² )
  • Scene exposure value set to -6 when addon is enabled
  • Procedural stars (enabled by default)
  • Extra node groups are now hidden
  • Absorption color is inverted to keep consistency with Blender material settings
  • Ground offset parameter is now actually useful
  • Fog addition and removal from materials is automated
  • UI panel visual and functionality improvements
  • Occasional animation and render crash fix
  • Sky transparency render bug fix
  • Zero-division error fix

and bug tracker is here - https://github.com/PhysicalAddons/physical-starlight-and-atmosphere/issues

24 Likes

Nope totally makes sense. Brilliant and thanks you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Perfick! :slight_smile:

Forgive me if this silly question. I purchased V1.1 a few months ago understanding updates would be included. Do I have to purchase the add-on again, in order to update to 1.2? Because that is the impression I am getting from everything I have seen so far.

1 Like

I believe this is a free update! I bought on Gumroad and the new version showed up. Is it not showing up for you in Gumroad or Blendermarket?

all updates are included for free. it should appear in your library. check it here: BlenderMarket or Gumroad

hello in 1.2 night seems to be pitch black even on horizons. this is not the case in 1.1 and it looks much better when it is not all pitch black. procedural stars are very basic i am little disappointed i hope in future updates you add more options and more detail to procedural stars. the texture stars are not working properly, i cant get same results as in 1.1 it seems too dark. also it is a shame that stars proceduaral or texture are not affected by bloom in eevee, i think if they were affected by bloom they would look better. otherwise sky during day seems to look better/more detailed.

also this horizon https://prnt.sc/sc30f2 doesnt look right at this angle. i dont think i ever seen a curved horizon like that ever anywhere. i understand you invested a lot of time making this, i am just giving you my raw opinion as a casual user. if i am doing something wrong let me know

Thank you for the update. So far it work really nice.

Yeah, it is not so simple as before. So, because I moved to physically more accurate radiance values, it covers far more dynamic range you can store in a fixed exposure value. so you have to manually adjust exposure in the night time. Also stars will appear brighter when you turn up the exposure. For more artistical approach I could, in theory, add dynamic range slider in the future.
Bloom should be affected by Stars, but starlight is reeeaaly faint so it has to be turnen up really high.
And the horizon thing is actually my take on Belt of Venus (earth shadow). It is not yet perfect, but I am improving it on the go. here ia a reference BOV

5 Likes

maybe also add a toggle for belt of venus for more artistic freedom?

Just got the new update, looking good. Is it possible to change the stepping increments to a lower value eg. 01° instead of 1°? The sun elevation makes a big difference in single digits when the sun is close to the horizon. Shift click dragging is still a bit too sensitive to my taste.

Thanks for the update.

I too have noticed some differences with the exposure settings. If used with the Photographer add-on as soon as I start tweaking the exposure compensation in Photographer the image is blown out.

The reset buttons don’t seem to work on old projects.
I’ll try to get back with more details after further testing.

How do I download the new update? I bought my copy off of Gumroad some time ago, but I forgot which account of mine (I use multiple) I bought it on. I need help whenever possible, please, I dont want to have to buy the addon again. I know for certain that I bought it, but no update notifications have shown up for me.

If you search for “atmosphere” on each of your accounts home library page (first page to show when you login) it will come up and you can click through to the fresh download!

That’s the thing, though. I logged in to each of my accounts, but it wasn’t there for any of them. I guess I must have paid for it without registering an account first and I just forgot about it over time and I don’t remember what email address or credit card I used when I bought it either, unfortunately. My memory is bad.

What should I do? Do I have no choice but to pay again? If I have to do so, that’s fine, but I just wish I could download new updates when logged out of my Gumroad account.

1 Like