Physically correct lighting

Does anybody know how the light power works in conjunction with nodes? Does the power in W multiply strength set in nodes?

Iirc they are the same, but only use one of them, leaving the other at 1.
If you leave the node at 1, and utilize the lamps power setting instead, I think the idea is that Cycles and Eevee behaves more the same.
Sadly there is no way to control blackbody color for Eevee lamps other than guessing.
We should have blackbody and wavelength as available modes in the colour dialog.

1 Like

Isn’t it also highly relevant how big the scene is? If you use a “40 W” light (or whatever, lumens, candela whatever), it will have a totally different lighting effect in a “box” scene of 10 x 10 x 10 cm, vs a “stadium” scene of 100 x 100 x 100 m.

I notice Blender 2.8 has some improvements for spatial units (metric vs imperial, and more specifically um, mm, cm, m, inch, ft, etc), but I couldn’t figure out yet if that is also integrated/calibrated to relate to any lighting units.

I doubt it. I tend to mix between m, cm, and mm, depending on what I’m doing. But usually mm. And I haven’t observed any lighting changes. So I believe only the scale of the scene matters.

A bit late, but IIRC LuxCoreRender has an Irradience Pass/Contour Lines that group the Irradience on surfaces in your scene.
I’ll have a look when I get home to see what kind of output it gives.

Edit: Yep, so there is an Irradience pass (not shown), and a Contour Lines plugin (shown) that draws over the RGB render that you can adjust the scale/step for, grouping areas by irradience ranges. Not rendered very long so there is some noise.