Physics And Water

I’m trying to get a physics scene set up where I can have objects drop into a tank of water. The idea being that I can adjust the density of all the objects involved. I’m looking to do sea water (the density is the important thing), gold, and a much less dense plankton like creature. I want to be able to just have them free fall (with their different densities) and film the lighter object going down the tank.

I’ve been playing around with the water simulator but have no real clue as to what I’m doing. I do have an idea about free falling objects, but I don’t know how to have that combined with the water simulation. I think I can just go over to the Blender game engine and give the objects mass and have them free fall while recording the keyframes. (I read that somewhere but can’t for the life of me find it again or figure out how to do that…). That might have been a script, but I can’t be sure.

I hope to be fairly realistic in where the physics are concerned. I would really appreciate any tips you can give me!

As far as i’m concerned, there is no way to make the game engine interfere with fluid simulations. But i read somewhere:

Blender 2.64 is out, 2.65 will be here very soon and 2.66 promises direct Bullet physics integration into the animation system

Maybe that can prove useful some day. I would personally love being able to do that.
For now, try looking at the program called RealFlow, wich has support for just this.