Pick up and drop object

Hi,
I need to animate a character picking up and dropping an object from a height. I pan to do the dropping part by recording IPOs from the game engine and turning them into an action. From searching the forums I’ve found out that I can pick things up using an animated “copy location” constraint, timed to go from 0 to 1 when the character closes his hand, so that’s no problem. The hand movement and the animation of the constraint will also be actions so I can see everything together in the NLA and adjust the timing.

The problem is, when I release the constraint, the object snaps back to its original location. I could solve this by having a short (1 frame) transition action that comes in just before the constraint turns off, and keys the location of the object to its new position, but that doesn’t seem like a very elegant solution - If I change the final position of the character’s hand, I have to remember to change the transition action too… (OK, in this case I’d have to rebake the physics anyway, but I’m looking for a general solution for picking up / putting down). Does anyone know of some better way to do this?

If I change the final position of the character’s hand, I have to remember to change the transition action too…

Yep. When the constraint is active, the object follows the hand. When the constraint is disabled, the object is where you keyed it. You have to key it where you want it.

Hi, This is similar to my question. I’m just trying to figure out how to animate something interacting with the physics engine. Say you had a bunch of cubes on the floor and you wanted to have broom animated and knocking the cubes around according to the physics engine. How do you do that? or am I thinking about this question in the wrong way.

Hi, This is similar to my question. I’m just trying to figure out how to animate something interacting with the physics engine. Say you had a bunch of cubes on the floor and you wanted to have broom animated and knocking the cubes around according to the physics engine. How do you do that? or am I thinking about this question in the wrong way.

Check this out: