Pilot - organic sculpt in blender - WIP

This is off the hook! so good! As I was reading through I was thinking how trivial my retopo challenges I am facing are compared to this. And the design is excellent. So difficult to bring something knew into the “bust” category.

Good job! I have read your topic and I would suggest using a quad remesher to increase the performance when sculpting, Dynotopo in Blender is not the best in terms of optimalisation. I changed my workflow from dynotopo to remesher ( thanks to Pablo Dobarro) and I can reach about 30-50 million with smooth sculpting. It is not yet perfect due to the overall performance of Blender with such a dense mesh, but still much better than dynotopo. I like the way you painted your character, especially the contrast of the white face. Also, baking looks good without visible artifacts, this is something that I am still struggling to do in my work, because I have no experience with retopology and UV management, and it’s always a painfull process :stuck_out_tongue: One thing that I think would help is to add more variaton to roughness to make the details pop up. Nevertheless, you did great, especially as a first sculpting project in Blender! Well done :smiley:

Thanks @Irishlostboy . I’ve redone retopo from scratch 4 times manually and should do it few times again to make the flow even close to correct :smiley: I think the ability to make a good retopo comes with practice, when the brain starts to “see” loops, a bit like muscle memory thing…

1 Like

Thank You @_BEASTIC for You comment ! I will have to try out Your workflow with remesher. I have few days left to have some fun with zbrush trial, and after that I will probably return to blender to squeeze the most out of it.

I quite like the colors too, maybe a tiny bit of tweaking will be just enough to make them final. Regarding baking, and unwraping, there were very ugly seams. I just needed to move on with this guy after few days or retopo and unwraping, so I’ve left the seams on the piece and got rid of them in photoshop after rendering. I know I know :wink:

I’m 100% with You regarding roughness. You know how it is when You work few hours on something, it looks good, then You go to sleep and the next day… there is some “polishing” needed… :smiley: The first thing is that the skin is too shiny on the dark part, especially on the shoulders. And definitely roughness is too flat, I will try to plug in the bump texture into roughness (with some massaging of course). Also the nose and the light part of the face is not glossy enough… the goal would be to make the skin similar to ape skin…

Also eyes are too dark, teeth need to be desaturated and the value is too low, need to make the bony structures stand out more (with color and roughness), and so on and so forth :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Keep it going! Ape skin seems to be great idea for that :smiley: I’m looking forward for it.

1 Like