"Pirated" addons

You can’t do absolutly nothing against that and your addon is on all the warez sites on the internet.

IMO, the thing you sell with your addons is support, features and updates.
You create a community and people follow your work, your addon and pay for the support etc.
Even those who didn’t paid it, will support you if the work, the support is there.

4 Likes

Level_of_invasiveness is directly proportional to chance_of_being_credited. It’s less cool / humble / whatever, sure. Your choice.

Usually they don’t try things out or have even a basic understanding. I once played a game against this sort of people by updating on a weekly basis, but at the end of the day, you don’t want to annoy your users…

In my case, it was a closed source solution which was both pirated and sold. But in either way, as it was mentioned, being able to get in touch with the developer often has quite some value. I had a few funny situations where I was contacted by people who were using pirated versions. It was always important for me to put that into perspective, because I knew that there were a lot of people who actually valued my work.
Of course, it is a shitty situation to know that people directly profit from your work without having contributed anything. It is not healthy to focus too much on it, because there is not much you can do. Your time is better spent on literally anything else!

Share GPL code even reselling it, it’s not piracy. All the developers that are selling GPL code should have been warned about things like this can happen. Selling and sharing GPL code is stipulated by GPL license, and we could say that both are wanted and stimulated things by GPL.
I am not sure about protection of the original product name. Perhaps developers could choose names that do not indicate generic terms used in 3D, in order to better protect their product and force others to offer it with a different name. The same for logos, images, etc.

2 Likes

You can only hope that the people who use pirate versions wouldn’t have been customers anyway. Maybe there will be even the odd person now and again that supports you after they’d pirated your addon.

I always loved the idea of the copy protection in the Operation Flashpoint series of games. It would recognise that a version was pirated but still run, and not let the user know. It would instead just slowly, over time, degrade the game in various ways, such as make the player’s firing accuracy get worse and worse over time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some cultures have different philosophies altogether - where sharing is above private or so called “my intellectual” property. Open your eyes and stop blindly following western dogma enclosed in selfish righteousness as if appointed, written by the God. C’mon, really…

Respect your own choice being involved in OPEN SOURCE + GPL & simply get along or just move elsewhere.

you misunderstood me, I dont care about people sharing my stuff, actually I share it.

I just think it’s rude to not give credits to the original author.

please notice that I put “Pirated” under quotes because its not but that’s what it feels like.

ah… no, i believe you do fine
i am more generally writing, if someone else ever after stumbles on our electric farts
(web generates huge amounts of CO2)
we do the damage by “shitting” our “couldn’t care less” & “my butt hurts” ideas all over the place
and i was a bit bored too :wink:

Well honestly, even if the site wasn’t Iranian(I’m guessing it’s iranian) and was in one of those countries that cared about copyright,

You can take this down but what are you going to do about the much more prevalent issue of private trackers?

This is just an unfortunate reality of software development

I mentioned in a couple of other threads how common piracy is here in South Africa. At the company I used to work for nearly everything they used was pirated, from the software to the 3D assets, they never wanted to buy anything. And they certainly weren’t using the money they saved for our salaries.

I kept telling the boss that the cracked software just doesn’t work right and is ruining our projects and eventually got him to buy one license for one addon. He wasn’t the sort who I could convince to buy software for moral reasons.

I was working at a company with 30 people, there were frequent checks from the Business Software Alliance, about twice a year. They only checked for adobe and autodesk licenses, didn’t care about anything else back then. The company was using a lot of smaller softwares either illegally or with insufficient licenses - not because they were plain evil, but mainly to stay in competition. Now that company has over 400 people and is paying for every software. They have to ability to shuffle costs and stay on competition even when there are downtimes or when a project get’s canned.

The point being, piracy is a calculated risk with digital content, it’s one of the easiest segments for cutting costs. I don’t condone it in any way, but I doubt that’s going to change any time soon.

The mechanics are similar to free gumroad content in a sense (apart from it being theft, obviusly)- I guess only 1 in a 100 people would pay for it (or even less), there’s going to be some marketing aspects though. Many factors that’d need to be considered when creating and pricing the content.

As for the sites distributing content illegally - they’re about quantity, they don’t care about the creators. As soon as you shut down one site 2 others pop up. Hoping for them do disappear is like hoping for a world free of crime. Best thing one can do I guess is support creators as best as they can.

Well there is at least bl_info in the addons. Free free to include a copyright.txt and support.txt Because we give the source code away does not mean we have no intellectual rights to it, especially if you have developed certain algorithms for the addon.

Another thing you can do is to license any additional content (image, mesh, animation those are not under GPL etc ) you distrubute with the add-on and mention it in the add-on tab. None of this will stop people from doing what they do for sure.

One last point is that the payment method might not be available in some countries which might make them consider other methods to get a hold of this stuff.

try sending the owner of the site an e-mail, say it took a lot of work and the money earned with the add-ons helps paying the bills or things like that. maybe he’ll remove the links out of good faith

It’s my understanding that, even if you sell an “add-on” to a GPL product and even if you supply it in source-code form, this doesn’t oblige you to say that your “add-on” is also GPL. Because, it is an accessory to the GPL-licensed product, Blender, but not a part of it.

And in any case, certainly, if you sell the software, making it clear that people should obtain it only for a fee, that should not entitle someone else to “copy it and clone it.”

I don’t have anything important to add right now about piracy or attribution, but I just wanted to say that I’ve recently purchased Tesselator from the Blender Market and I’m having fun with it. I’m still a relatively new user so I’m absolutely certain that I’m not anywhere close to intelligent about my workflow, but it’s cool to watch what your addon does to meshes and think of ways to use it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This isn’t true. The GPL requires including the license at the head of your script (or in a LICENSE file if you have a multi-file add-on).

1 Like

I say again … *“Blender, yes, is GPL.” And it’s true that your add-on is intended to be used with(!) that GPL product. But, this does not mean that your add-on must be licensed the same way!

While “your add-on” would be utterly useless without Blender, it is not “part of it.”

I’m not a lawyer, and I don’t pretend to be, but consider this – many software companies sell “add-ons” to open source products, and many companies who today furnish open source products also sell proprietary versions – sometimes even granting licensees access to that additional source code under proprietary terms. All of this is perfectly legal.

In fact, IMHO a key aspect of open source licensing, and of cooperative software development in general, is that it enables this sort of thing to be done: you can “stand on the shoulders of giants,” instead of standing on the ground.

you are wrong though.

the other open source products you mention maybe use some other license than GPL or maybe they use some kind of dual licensing if all the copyright holders agree.

but blender simply is GPL, which means that python addons also have to be GPL (or maybe a compatible license?). once their code runs they are considered a part of blender.

Very sad to see people stealing other people work and even selling it, i saw that many time on 3d models site like turbocrooks and all the others + on the unity asset store where a guy was selling Skyrim 3d models!

You can only sell closed source addons, if there is another license in place. With the GPL license, this is not allowed.

What about add-ons or my Python scripts?

If you share or publish Python scripts they have to be made available compliant to the GNU GPL as well, if they use Blender Python API calls.

Can I sell add-ons for Blender?

Yes you can, but only if you provide the add-on and the sources to your clients under the GNU GPL license . The client then benefits from all rights the GPL offers; free to use it, or even distribute it when they wish.

You have full freedom to license your software product however you wish if and only if:
– It operates outside of Blender.
– Uses no Blender source code or API calls (including Python API).
– Produces data for Blender to operate on.
– Executes Blender to read and operate on the data.

2 Likes