Pistol

First model please give constructive criticism.
P.S. Rendering question how do I get my renders to look this high quality without converting the SubSurf to a mesh.
http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/3121/gunmodelpicwires5qx.th.jpg

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3507/gunmodelpic6vj.jpg

KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid, no offense meant) is key to greatness. Especially in subsurf modeling imo. I see a lot of unneeded complexity in the mesh right now. The shape is just about right but it could be a lot simpler.

How to improve the mesh? I would make the barrel out of a box and then extrude the shaft. To add the needed sharpness, I would use ctrl+r to add loops and to control the mesh. Using this technique you can add easily details to your mesh. Also learn to use knife tool (shift+k). Try to avoid unnecessary tris in the mesh. They can create nasty artifacts when using subsurfs.

You might want to use the new mirror modifier while modeling unless you already are. It makes modeling a lot easier.

To answer your latter question, note that you can two different levels for subsurf: levels while modeling (upper) and levels while rendering (the lower one). I bet that your rendering level value is lower than your modeling level value. Increase it to proper level to get the effect you want.

You probably shouldn’t use subserf for a gun, it will make it very difficult to make sharp edges, and guns always have at least some sharp edges.

Are you trying to do a Desert Eagle?

You know, every topic about guns, you’ll see me, and/or thelonesoldier.

It would look good if you added some grips, on the handle and near the top on the slide.

Also, the handle looks a bit too small for the rest of the gun. Not too bad for a start though. keep it up.

That’s what the second number is in the subsurf subpanel - set it to the same (or higher) than the first.

i had a similar problem…you seem to have trouble with sharp shapes while subsurf =on. have a look at this thread where guru’s helped me.

this is the link

Not necessarily. You can sharpen Subsurfed Edges using the “Shift-E” command. That way you can model a nice Mesh with sharp and soft edges and still keep it low-poly.

I agree that the Gun needs some work though.

Not necessarily. You can sharpen Subsurfed Edges using the “Shift-E” command. That way you can model a nice Mesh with sharp and soft edges and still keep it low-poly.

I did not know that… I always used Face loop cuts, and took them all the way to the edge to sharpen subsurfs

AAAAAAAA!!!1111!!! SUBSURFED TRIS!!!1

Alright. The quick fix is alt-j i think. Just go into edit mode and select all and then hit alt-j. I think. Don’t quote me on that.

But really, you need to make all the tri’s disappear. I would rework the model via edge loops and then link them together.

Now mind you, TorQ’s tutorial has many, um… Novel uses.

Keep up the good work.

-aML