Planeshift: a game in need of 3d artists

HI
I play a game planeshift, which is open source and is badly in need of 3d modlers and artists, i hope to one day contribute to it but am new to 3d modeling and lack the skill.
planeshift.it
hydlaaplaza.com/smf

While I appreciate your passion for the game, it saddens me how many Blender threads (often started w/ zero post count) remind me of this video.

I forgot all about this game. I remember seeing it probably a few years back. As a past player of Baldur’s Gate, Everquest & WoW, I was curious to see where Planeshift would go… interesting.

Good video. That illustrates a lot of the threads that are started here. “We want you to work for free and almost nothing but you’ll get credit in an awesome game or movie project.”

What they don’t realize is that people have their own lives and expenses, and while working for nothing might not hurt anyone, it does hurt the pocketbook.

I say what I say with respect…

For some, making art is a hobby, just as making a game is to others, or an animation, not everyone does it for money, they do it just to do it. I do get that these forums are flooded with naive big ideas, but they’re only asking for help. No one is obligated to help, then move along, otherwise help. This constant “approach” to all these threads is building an elite @#%$% projection of this community, and it’s my hope that this is not what this community is.

As for this one, it is not even the development team asking, it’s a user of their software. Even if it wasn’t, their project is quite underway and established:
http://www.planeshift.it/

Now I’m not saying there is issue or trying to put anyone on the spot, I’m politely asking for courtesy to our new members. I was new once here myself and I remember the feeling, let’s pass along the good and change the bad one member at a time.

i very much agree with Quandtum…

for instance, while i’m currently pre-occupied, i may be looking for cool projects to contribute to in the future… but i’m not interested in all projects. it’s nice to have a variety of projects posted. and to repeat Quandtum, planeshift is a really popular project. i would imagine a lot of people might POSSIBLY be interested. i know i would be if i wasn’t working on a project.

ignore it if you don’t want to help or if you don’t think the project will get help. in that case it doesn’t concern you.

nobody is disrespecting your “professional” skills or need to make money. “How DARE you suggest a GOD LIKE ME help with your stupid peasant affiliations.” some people want to be a part of a team that makes something cool, and people shouldn’t be scolded whenever they want to connect to those people. some people aren’t hobbyists but still may want to contribute. you assume anybody that wants to make money with 3d is too good to also work on free projects. i don’t want people to view this community as a group of uppity, mean, childish people who just want to race to be the first to make a formulaic response bashing project recruiting. unlike Quandtum though, i don’t mind putting people on the spot, especially when they try to talk down to people who are being perfectly decent. i think it stinks.

and not to be a hypocrite, but is this the right forum to post this kind of thing? maybe it should be moved. edit: i say this because the sticky post about project advertisement is in “Off-topic Chat”

In response to ogbog, I appologise for making this my first post, i can understand your frustration. I posted this to help another community, which i feel is currently imho struggling to develop as fast as it potentially could, for instance a new city has been created (well the first part) and has taken 2 years, i thought some people may take interest in contributing to a medival style fantasy mmorpg as a hobby in any of there spare time.

I hope to learn from this community and contribute positively towards it.

Good stuff (and thanks ikeahloe, good post :D). The reason I started Blending to start with I think is no secret (if you look at my DA stuff), I love RPG game art.

Interestingly enough, I too am too stacked project-wise, but I’m hoping after the holidays to be freeing up a bit of bandwidth. I actually had planned on working on fantasy-dungeon-catacomb type scenes (don’t know how it will turn out), but now I’m thinking I could pair that up with this and maybe do double duty. Having picked through many of the WoW models through the WMV, I understand a lot of “tricks” Blizzard has used, though I don’t know that I am able create low poly, well textured stuff… something I am going to explore though (downloading the game and the source to further explore the project).

Oh ya, random thought, perhaps the Sintel game and this could overlap some assets…

I think we need “Help Wanted” section of the forum.

good idea, one a lot of people have thought about. not sure why this hasn’t been implemented yet.

Because it’s a lot of work. You gotta punch few buttons, set moderators, set access and type in “Help Wanted” + description. It’s a whole new project.

:stuck_out_tongue:

There’s a place to post questions about n00b problems with Blender’s UI. Doesn’t really do much to stop people from posting in the News section anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry to be a douche about these things. I’m all for community projects, volunteering and contributing to Blender’s community (go play with my stuff on Blendswap and if you’re in the Pacific Northwest, come to Seabug) and am especially behind new users getting into Blender. It’s really not easy, and people deserve credit if they can make the commitment. It’s just something this is something that comes up a lot, and it’s often under a vibe of “you guys provide the assets, I’ll provide the leadership.”

It’s worth noting that one of the best ways to get people attached to volunteer projects is to do the opposite: start making good assets, and then people will join in to have their name attached to a project that looks like it won’t die or embarrass them. And to be fair, this is an established project, so it does fit that criteria.

I strongly disagree with that point of view. Very few people offered their help on voluntary basis (during 2 years period) for my game.

I remember the days, people wanted to work for free. Just to get their foot in the door, just to learn how to work in the commercial or non-commercial, but scheduled environment; to get something into their portfolio. Nowadays, it’s pay upfront and don’t ask questions. And some people, quite honestly, don’t have required set of skills. Those could definitely benefit from participating on a voluntary basis.

i think both ways can work, but they both work better with a little bitty cup o’ understanding (insert southern american choir song here)

It’s stickied in the two most trafficked subforums, and yet few even bother to read it. I will admit, it is awful when a potential employer does try to be tactful in their advertisement and that potential employer still receives a negative response. Personally, I haven’t seen it happen enough to warrant a speech about a elitism and manners, though.

Usually if the offer is legit and everything is done correctly, things go smoothly.

It can be easy to view the many comments by users, many who have been screwed in the past, as childish. But if you look at it that way you’d have to view the people making these ridiculous offers as selfish.

Personally, I think the advertisement represents what the potential employer thinks about the Blender community. I usually hate it when people allude to this site for argumentative purposes but hell:

Make the damn subforum, Mods. Even if its a link to another site/subdomain.

They could probably benefit more by participating on a voluntary basis in a live setting… or taking a class… or watching a tutorial. As for paying up front, that’s what a portfolio is for - see the work beforehand; understand that it takes time.

I understand the business side when it comes to managing losses. However, every business owner should be prepared to lose money in any endeavor, especially when it comes to the internet. No one should be expected to work for free, though. A few bad employees is no excuse.

I strongly disagree with that point of view. Very few people offered their help on voluntary basis (during 2 years period) for my game.

I was going to respond negatively here (since we’re being honest), but instead I’ll ask… very few, or none? Most people are under the impression that work=pay.

I remember the days, people wanted to work for free. Just to get their foot in the door, just to learn how to work in the commercial or non-commercial, but scheduled environment; to get something into their portfolio.

I don’t. At least, not on the internet. I can understand why business owners like these sort of people, though. :wink:

If you’re hoping to attract hobbyist the place you want to look is in the off-topic section. You won’t meet nearly as many responses like ogbog’s. Also, that web address looks like spam, lol. Maybe you should just reference the main website. It’s good to see that you have such an interest in the project that you would go this far to help out.

That’s because you go about it all wrong:

motorsep: I need free labor for me game
others: Isn’t it a commercial game? Maybe if you paid people…
motorsep: But, but, the quality of the people applying… I won’t pay for that – I wan’t free labor
others: Hold on a sec, this is a game you’re selling, right?
motorsep: Bah, nevermind, I’ll do my own damn art.

I remember the days, people wanted to work for free. Just to get their foot in the door, just to learn how to work in the commercial or non-commercial, but scheduled environment; to get something into their portfolio. Nowadays, it’s pay upfront and don’t ask questions. And some people, quite honestly, don’t have required set of skills. Those could definitely benefit from participating on a voluntary basis.

Nah, I think it’s just you.

Complain about the people who do want to work for you, complain about the people who have worked for you, complain about the people who won’t work for you, complain that the qualified people won’t work for free, complain that the unqualified want to get paid…

Who want’s to work for someone like that?

I am going to ignore bitching of Uncle Entity and ropsta. Instead, I’d like to ask how old are you guys? Probably not that old. Or never been into modding scene of Doom / Quake.

Another thing is that I work for free on the current game. So does my team. Everyone will be paid as soon as cash is there.
Also I worked for very cheap, doing 3D art. Whatever I got paid was better than nothing. The company who I worked for can serve as a reference and I was able to gain more experience.

i remember meeting someone on IRC who was asking for help on this specific game. i downloaded the game and i didn’t find it very enjoyable. there was no sense of direction or goals in the game. as i understood it, you wander around looking for items and money and buy stuff from shops or other players. I think this is what people call MMORPG. i do hope this game succeeds because there seemed to be lots of work put into it, but i would be more interested in a game that had more defined goals

I’d also like to point out something people usually don’t account for, regarding what people usually consider the most legitimate form of free labor: unpaid internships.

Unpaid internships bring an air of authority with them that often makes the free labor seem more justified. After all, shared profits is a long-shot goal, but putting a legitimate company’s name on your resume implies a gainful, educational experience that meant it was mutually beneficial. Plus, companies have to fill out tax forms and handle bureaucratic issues of unpaid internships, which implies that you at least count as a quantifiable, regulated commodity.

But the reality is, most unpaid internships with for-profit companies in the US are actually illegal. To count as an unpaid internship, the company has to “derive no immediate advantage” from your labor. Additionally, if said labor displaced what could normally be justified as requiring a paid employee, someone should legally be paid for that labor (probably you.)

So to paint a picture for you of what a LEGAL unpaid internship would look like: You stand behind a paid artist or coder, watch them do their thing, and they teach you tools. You might create a model that they judge and give feedback on, but they wouldn’t be allowed to use that model no matter how good it was.

You might decry me as a capitalist pig for thinking work deserves pay. I’d posit that the capitalist pig stance is far more inclined toward abusing free labor, and paying people with “artistic fulfillment dollars.” This gets abused very frequently, especially in a passion-driven industry like media, and it’s important for people to know their rights.

“Protect ya neck.” --The Wu Tang Clan

Welcome milidh, good attitude and don’t let it be deterred by the example being set here. Blender is a good tool with a good and helpful community.