Planet Earth with 23-Page Tutorial (4th Edition)

(Lego Animator) #1

This project has taken me many hours to complete, but it was a lot of fun. I’ve attached three shots of the two different Earth models I’ve built. One of the models is designed to be photo-realistic, the other is designed after NASA’s Blue Marble. Each model includes three sections: a day section, a night section, and a city lights section. The sections can be rendered independently of each other, or in any combination.

You can see some full-size renders (including some 2560x1920 ones) at this page. The Blue Marble model allows for some serious close-up rendering (after all, some of the maps I used are 21600x10800 pixels, and that’s small compared to the biggest size available from NASA!).

I’ve put together a

.pdf tutorial (46.9 MB)

so that others can benefit from the work I’ve done. This is not a “how-to-get-Earth-in-five-easy-steps” kind of tutorial; I go into details such as land-masked specular shading, ray-traced cloud shadows, and city lights. I provide links for finding and downloading the maps that I used (which come from the Visible Earth project and are all free), and also provide credit information. Three of the maps (the photo-realistic land map and the two night land maps) I actually modified and uploaded myself - I don’t know of anywhere else where you can get free high-quality maps like these.

An animation of the photorealistic model may be found here.

Here are the .blend files:

Photorealistic Model

Blue Marble Model

Have fun!

Attachments

(seanser) #2

Best Earth that I have seen here, v nice of you to take the time out and write a tut also.

(3pointEdit) #3

That’s nice, in a similar animation in a thread of mine I have animated the appearance of the atmosphere over time too. using a time node input to the mix node. Nice hires renders there too. I think that the atmos is a bit to neon (over saturated) however.

(kernond) #4

That’s very nice! Thanks for sharing.

BTW, would you consider adding a link to the PDF tutorial on the “Mapped Blender Earth” webpage? That would eliminate having to provide two links for the same subject when recommending this resource. Thanks.

(PapaSmurf) #5

woot! movie quality. great job!

(madness_999) #6

Looks Great!!!
I’m going to take a look at that tutorial as soon as I can.

(JiriH) #7

Thank you very much for sharing this. Nice tutorial.

(Lego Animator) #8

Done. Note that there is also an official tutorial page which links both to the PDF and to the regular Earth page - but it looks very plain, though I’m hoping to fix that. I’m planning on re-formatting my site soon, to improve on the overall site design and interaction. I’m still a beginner when it comes to web design (I typed all the HTML and CSS from scratch), and my first try was a little bit less than inspiring! :slight_smile: I won’t change any of the actual web addresses, I’ll just be improving the look of the already existing pages a bit.

(thproducties) #9

Do i have premision to juse this files in my movie???

(Lego Animator) #10

Yes, as with all the planets in that library, you may use the render examples and/or .blend files in your own productions. You’ll just need to credit Chamberlin Productions and the authors of the various maps. If you’re making a space project, though, I would recommend building Earth for yourself, since you’ll learn more about Blender than you would by just using pre-made files.

(thproducties) #11

Oké, Thanks! I will look at the tutorial aswell

(StanDesign) #12

wow!! thanks a lot for your harmfull help =)

(naturalpainter) #13

Cool! Thanks for sharing. :yes:

(FallingJigSaw) #14

O sh! This one is good! It’s like a frame from some movie! And thanx for tutorial!

(Master Danix) #15

it’s very nice,but at night,or the atmosphere has a yellowish color or it’s completly black

(Lego Animator) #16

I’m glad people are getting some good out of this project! I’ve added an appendix to the tutorial - it explains how to render a variation on the Blue Marble project. The variation follows NASA’s render more closely.

(XPS(Chaos)) #17

I have a question about this tutorial.
What is that Node that starts with “Sh” that is connected to the top most screen node?
I can’t seem to find it.

(nitros2) #18

yeah thats what i was thinking…STARGATE!!!. okay…sorry:o. That looks like a satellite photo:eek: nice stuff!

(GaretEliot) #19

You didn’t pack the textures.

(Lego Animator) #20

I’m sorry, that’s a Sharpen node. The screenshot doesn’t make that very clear, I’ll fix that here soon.