Planet project

For my perspectives in science fiction class everybody has to make up their own planet, and since I know how to animate I decided to actually make it along with modeling some animals/ships/people that live on the planet… so far I’m just doing the planet, and I finished the final stencil map for the planet…

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/4257/tarturan13or.th.jpg

any CnC would be good… I should have a normal map and a color map by the end of the week… maybe even a cloud map by then… after that it’s all cake…

also if anyone knows how to fill areas with a gradient so it would follow the coastlines in paintshop please tell… I can get it to fill, but it doesn’t follow the coastline in gimp…

I notice there are a lot of landmasses in one area and none in another - is that intentional? Also, there is no anti-aliasing on your image, I don’t know if it is necessary but it may be worth it at the render, to avoid the texture looking pixellised.
Apart from that, it is looking good!

that’s just a stencil map for the ocean normal map to not mess up the continents also… the normal map and color map will be AAed… so does anyone know how to fill with a gradient so that it follows the edge of your shape in Paintshop? I can do it in GIMP but I’m wondering if Paintshop has it because I like working with it a lot more…

Why use paintshop if you have GIMP?? Your stencil looks like there are two HUGE land masses at the poles, and then on giant volcano that has eroded over the years in on central spot on the equator. This, to me, seems a bit unnatural and uneven. I would rais up the oceans on both poles and spread out the continents a bit, perhaps even add in some continental ridges in the ocean to show plate tectonics. Then when you are doing the materials you can extend the land mass back down from the poles just use white and call it glaciar cover, would be low in altitude since it’s mostly water freezing.

What class is this for exactly, sounds like an intersting class?