Platform of choice?

(PowerMacG4) #1

I know this topic is dragged out.
But with the recent big changes in Blender 3D, what is folks platform of choice for the new open source Blender?
Please list your choices and why.
Also if can DON’t bash other OS’s.
My choice:

1. SGI
    IRIX is sweet, I can run GCC on it.
    Pretty little box.
    UNIX
  2. PowerMac Mac OS X
    OS X is sweet, I can run GCC on it.
    Pretty Little box.
    UNIX

(lycanth) #2

At the risk of sounding like an OS zealot… :stuck_out_tongue:

Linux. Because I like developing in the Unix environment and because I’m a penniless student who can’t afford the pretty Macs. :slight_smile:

(Timothy) #3

windows at the moment,… but I am using linux alot for server stuff so am thinking about using it more for desktop stuff aswell.

and ofcourse if I develop for Blender I will code on both windows and linux to see if the code works!

(stef) #4

Get the system with the best OpenGL implementation per USD.

I’m afraid this will be a IBM compatible PC running Microsoft Windows. For coding you still can use Linux in a dual-boot configuration.

I don’t use Microsoft products for several reasons, so i’m using Linux only. (and have to cope up with Nvidia’s buggy proprietary OpenGL drivers)

If you’re thinking about using Linux for modelling, you really should ask an expert about which video hardware to buy, and which OpenGL drivers to use.

Ok, we don’t have to discuss the quality of OpenGL on SGI machines, but what about MacOSx? How buggy/fast is OpenGL on a Mac?

Stef(an).

(bmax) #5

windows… and dont you dare change that… :x

(emtilt) #6

I use Windows because it is all I have access to. Dont you dare get rid of Windows support.

(rwv01) #7

For me it’s Windows. Not because I think it’s the best os but because it’s compatible with the most software. I need Blender for Windows because that’s my primary os.

(Enzoblue) #8

Windows - cause I can rid myself of 99.9% of the compatability issues in one fell swoop.

(acasto) #9

Linux, and wouldn’t use anything else :smiley:

(Zsolt) #10

I go with Windows, for a very simple reason: compatibility with most software and most hardware. It may have some minor flaws here and there, but at least I don’t have to go searching for (many times non-existent) drivers for hours.

Zsolt

(Friday13) #11

WINDOWS

(Schlops) #12

It doesn’t matter, as long as XEmacs runs on the system :stuck_out_tongue:

(Dittohead) #13

WINDOWS RULES.

excuse me,

Used beos, and linux. still like windows the best.

used a mac a couple a times but was umimpressed.

hrm let’s see, $2000 on a mac or $500-700 and you get something which can run linux or windows at much faster speeds with thousands mor apps avilible for both oses.

sorry but the pc is much more economic and sensible.

the only good thing about macs, they’re kinda cool looking.

(Eric) #14

I use Linux. What’s the name of that other os now again…ahh, windows…heard of it once, never really used it but I think it suck…

(xitnalta) #15

I use free software operating systems wherever I can, currently mainly GNU/Linux, because:

• It is (normally) gratis.
  • It provides the development tools used to build itself. (It is self-hosting at no cost.)
  • It develops fast and to the users liking.
  • It’s not possible to create a monopoly.
  • I’m used to it more than I ever was to any other system. It enables me to explore and understand it without becoming a criminal.
  • I can share it with my friends without being called a pirat.

The only real disadvantage I see until now is that free software developers (if they do it as a profession) don’t earn as much money as developers of proprietary software. I don’t want to be rich, but have fun and freedom.

I don’t have a strong opinion regarding hardware platforms.

cu,
Felix

(Rob) #16

UNIX is clearly the only OS worth bothering with but I have to use windoz at home because thats what the kids games work on. Also I really donot want to spend my life doing sys admin keeping LINUX working. Windoz I really do not like but without it Blender would be nothing.

Rob

(bmax) #17

i agree with you, rob… except for the kids thing, cause i dont have any. cmon, i’m only 15! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Grizzly69) #18

As much as I like Linux (really like Mandrake) I have to say Windows. I tried both, and Blender in windows performed the best and most consistent. Plus all the other stuff I use works in Windows, like DV capture, my editing software, my ASUS TV tuner, all my games, and Nero 5.5. Plus, I have yet to find a multitrack recording software that worked in linux. Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is the best I have used that didn’t cost a fortune.

(IMProvisar) #19

I’m not one to bash platforms… In most cases they all have their niche.

I’ve used Macs on ocassion, and never really liked them… I much prefer PCs, because you can open them up and do whatever you want with the insides… though there are some exceptions.

This is why I no longer like the big PC makers like Gateway, Dell, etc… They tend to try to make their boxes pretty (like macs). This tends to make it tough when upgrading and rearranging. For instance, I’ve got a standard square, beige case with a made-for-gateway CD-ROM in it… looks bad because it was made to fit in a funky-shape case, so now has no face. The other thing… they have been for many years trending towards “put it on the mobo”. My last gateway had both audio and video on the mobo, so I had to wait until I had enough to but both those cards until I could ugrade the mobo/chip.

Also, some companies design their PCs for either no upgrade capability, or you must upgrade through them, at a premium price. I believe Packard Bell (still in business?) and Compaq were bad about this at one time, though I don’t know about now. Good example, I helped an aunt put a new 28.8kbps modem in her Compaq. Took 10-15 minutes to figure out how the case opened… it was built like some Chinese puzzle box, lol. Then when I got it open, the card (ISA) wouldn’t fit… the tab on the back face didn’t fit with the case… I ended up having to cut the tab to fit. Obviously designed so only their stuff would fit for upgrades.

So, as far as PCs, I prefer home-built, housed in square beige cases. Of course… the case doesn’t have to stay that way. I’m about to move, and once I get home, get a new job, and have some money, I want to buy some tools and start playing around with case mods… I’ve seen some very beautiful cases that started out as standard square/beige cases. One in particular was made by a guy who was in the Hollywood props business, and made one in the Aliens movie style. He used some kind of plaster or something to sculp shapes onto the case… it was very nice… though not quite something I wanted sitting in my computer room, lol. Windows, neon lights, custom paint jobs, texturing, sculpting… all things you can do to a plain square/beige case.

Just my humble opinion.

Oh, and the most impressive OS I’ve used is the QNX 1.44mb demo. Full GUI OS, POSIX compatible, file system (though they were RAM drives for the demo), web browser, with fairly decent NIC, modem, video card, etc. support, all packed into a 1.44 meg floppy. I tried it on all my computers, only problem was with one, it didn’t have support for the NIC, a fairly old SMC card.

Imp

(acasto) #20

My gateway/firewall here in my room is a little modded. It used to be a piece of crap E-Machine, until I killed it (well, more like suicied). So I stripped it down, lapped the processor (cyrix :x ) with sandpaper, then used a silver-based thermal grease and a better heatsink since cyrix processors like to overheat. After that I put it all back together in a 7"x10"x11" cube (well, not technically a cube) I made with maple wood. I partitioned the cube so that the mobo would be on a seperate level than the HD and CD-Rom. Since the desks and cabinets in my room is made with maple, it just nicely tucks back into the corner and ‘blends in’. It’s compact size makes for a great gateway/firewall. I just put a small Linux installation on it, plug up the cat-5, and let it run. 8)