Playback Freezing at a Certain Frame

Hello, artists! I hope you can help me sort out this issue.

I don’t have much info on the actual file to give for this issue, as so many things could be the culprit (I believe??), so let me know if you need certain specs. I am working on a slightly more complex scene than usual (fire physics, cloth physics, soft body physics, crowd via hair particles, etc.) and as I was animating one of the lesser crowd based characters, I noticed that when I hit the playback button, each time Blender would completely stop responding. After moving the animation over a few frames, I determined the animation wasn’t the problem. After a few more trial and error, this issue happens SPECIFICALLY on frame 39 and sometimes 40. I just started animating, so I can’t think of any event I placed on frame 39 for this to happen. This happens any time I happen to be on the frame, whether from the playback option (no matter the sync) or if I click on the frame myself. It will freeze for a solid 30 seconds before responding again. I have my scene Simplified from the Scene menu, and have everything unnecessary (including particles and physics) hidden from display view while animating. It’s just these two frames causing the problem, and I’m ripping my hair out. Any ideas?

Update Before Even Posting Thread: I tried closing the application and opening them again, and the problem persists between frames 40-43. I’m at a loss.

TL:DR = Viewport playback makes Blender stop responding on frames 39-40, and ONLY those frames, for a full 30 seconds. Unsure on what’s causing issue. No specific event is recorded on those frames in particular.

Thanks for the help!

Without seeing the file, there’s not much I can do other than give a few tips.

First, before proceeding with my suggestions, make a copy of the file and work with that copy, so as to not screw up your original file.

You could try deleting stuff from the file one at a time and test it. Remove fire physics, test, remove softbody physics, test, etc… until you find out what’s causing the problem. Everytime you delete an asset, you should save the file, close blender, start blender & reload the file. This way, all data related to an asset won’t be saved, and by closing and restarting blender you will assure yourself that there aren’t any little gremlins left in memory.

This should help you to determine what’s causing the problem. Then to double check, you should load a full copy of the file and delete everything but the asset that causes the problem, to see if the problem is still there. Then you’ll have it narrowed down to what the problem is and it’s easier to focus on just that problem.

After all, if it’s a bug within blender, you’ll need to narrow it down to the problem before reporting the bug so it can be fixed.

Another thing you can try, and you might want to try this first, is to start up blender, without a file loaded. Just a clean start, then append in all the assets from your file, from the objects folder, and see how the file performs. I’ve had a couple of corrupt .blend files here and there, and this is something I always try when I have weird stuff like you have going on.

Good Luck,

Randy

same exact problem in 2020. And this is always the same answer “make a bug report”. Why do people keep acting like they don’t know what we’re talking about. Surely it must happen to everyone. For me it always freezes on the 39th frame and i even deleted the frame, it just freezes on that frame for no reason. Fix it. I’ll provide no bug report just get blender to use the GPU to calculate, not simply to render, and stop making excuses. or dont… but its so annoying and everyone knows it – this is almost unusuable. No program should crash and freeze this often just form doing the most basic thing like click the mouse by accident – oops looks like you gotta wait 30 minutes before you can do anything again. Its ridiculous. put a neural network in it to make it run better or something lol. The best thing i can think of is the fact that it is only using CPU when in the UI and never the GPU, unless you use Cycles and are rendering then it will use the GPU. My GPU is a turing supercomputer there should be NO REASON why blender is using the cpu at all! Leave the CPU to process my start menu, GPU for everything physics and animation. That’s the solution.