Playing a video file on a plane in the background

i am interested in getting to grips with composite video. I have searched throufgh the posts and have not found the quality of information that I need to do that tasks as of yet.

Please help.

I know that in theory, I can take a piece of video, and then add it as a texture to a plane or the face of a cube, so that when the animation starts to render, the video file will be rendered (played) at the same rate as the rendering is taking place.

However, I have not got the foggyest idea as to where to start. When I use the UV iamge editor as a means of importing a video file, the message comes up on the black pythony windowy thing behind blender “unknown file format” and nothign happens. At this point, Blender tends to hang (freeze) or even crash.

My questions are

1. is the UV image editor the right one to use to import the video file and if not then please how do I import the video?

2. what type of video file can be imported

3. are there certain restrictions such as file extension, codec or frame rate that has to be taken into consideration? I ask this because I have a fun little webcammy thing that does nice high res 640x480 AVI digital video at about 8.5 FPS in MPEG-4 ( I think ) codec and I would very much like to use it in blender work.

Bespoke

I’m not an expert at this, but check this out:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_Tutorial_Links_List#Compositing
Try the 2 links for CG/live interaction.
Sounds like a fun project :slight_smile:

Hope this helps http://www.upperfold.com/blenderdv.shtml

thanks, will check them out now.

bespoke

OK I have finally got my first composite video done. i used Quictime 6 Pro to turn the movie into a uncompressed video and to remove the sound channel (as the sound channel on the video had a codec on it, I thought that might confuse Blender’s little head). This made the video just right.

I finally located the movie button in Texture buttons window and then hey prestochango I did it! Thanks chaps!

No to get my head around chromatic separation…

Chromatic Separation? Do you mean decomposing into CMYK? You only need to do that if you plan to print individual frames of your video, or if you plan to transfer your video to actual film…

Computer colors are based on phosphorescent light (light that glows), and is additive. Red + Green + Blue = White.

Print media is subtractive. Cyan + Magenta + Yellow = something muddy and dark, not quite black, so K refers to black. Thus with the combination of C, Y, M, and K you can get pictures on paper.

When you send a color image to your printer, the printer automatically decomposes the image into four separate images: one containing only the cyan part, one containing only the magenta part, etc. Then it applys the appropriate amount of each color to the same spot on the page for each pixel.

Hope this helps. If not, just ignore my babbling.