Please allow users to use any Creative Commons License they want

I would like to use less restrictive Creative Commons Licenses for my works, however blenderartists won’t allow this on their forum: everyone her has to use a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

I would ask for the rules to be changed to something in the lines of:
User submissions must have a Creative Commons License or Free Culture License. Users may chose a License by mentioning it in their post. When no License is given, it is assumed that a work uses a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

I don’t want to make a derivative work with more restrictive Licenses each time I post on here, it is actually just annoying and a needless hassle for artists, that embrace Creative Commons.

A blanket license on works uploaded here offers legal protection on issues such as copyright infringement. Offering users the chance to specify their own license opens them and the site up to legal troubles. Most art shading platforms- including DeviantArt, Instagram, and ArtStation- have the same blanket license policy :slight_smile:

I don’t understand this. All I am asking you is to allow users to use less restrictive licenses on this site. Many sites even have implemented this in their UI to let users choose when they upload.

YouTube:
Sketchfab:

Deviantart won’t allow me to screenshot their menu, but they also allow users to choose from different Creative Commons Licenses.

Twitter just wants a license that allows them to use it for the sake of running their service and advertisement.

I think only Meta actually has also a ban against the usage of Creative Commons Licenses on their services. (And your entire facebook and instagram pages are btw breaching this)
→ I have not checked in a while, but instagram now implicitly allows you to republish arts using CC-Licenses.

And speaking of license violations … if you insist on not allowing your users to use less restrictive Licenses … can you at least start actually adhering to the license, that you enforce?

Because you never include the License when re-posting art, witch actually is a requirement when republishing under any Creative Commons Attribution License.

I’m not against users adding a more liberal license in their posts themselves (ie dropping the noncommercial/sharealike requirements, or switching to CC0). We don’t have a way to add a popup as you’re suggesting - it would be neat to have that though. please see my comment below.

Regarding the attribution: we always provide credit and a link to the original artwork whenever we reshare work, so I think we have the most important part covered. I guess I could add a very short ’ (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0)’ (space is very restricted on Twitter), do you think that would be useful?

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know this, I’d appreciate if you could put it in the forum rules as well. :slight_smile:

I think the rules state you should also try to link the license, but when you’re not allowed to format Text with Links, just using CC-BY-SA-NC 3.0 is fine IMO and a lot better, than no License Info.

I just realized I may need to think this over a bit more, to understand about possible consequences. For now, please ignore my previous remark.

1 Like

Feel Free to ask any questions you might have.

One correction I also need to make: Instagram used to state, that you basically can only upload content, that you made yourself - disallowing the usage of creative commons artworks.

Now it just states that you must not violate other people’s intellectual property rights, so Instagram also allows users to use any CC-License.

For now I will just make derivative works of my original artworks, that adhers to your License Requirements and have a license disclaimer watermark. :person_shrugging:

1 Like