Please confirm a (maybe) non-gameblender graphics bug

I want to know if this bug is just my computer or ati cards in general.
Please try this test:

With the default scene, set the cube to rigid body physics then move it 12,000,000 units along the x axis. Focus on it and start the game engine. Is it’s movement jagged or smooth? View the cube from numerous angles.
Note: Before you start the game engine, the display will be a little messed up at this distance from the origin.

====Old Post: Mathutils Precision Problem/Bug====
I’ve been doing some tests (as some may know from my z buffer post) with extreme scales and have run into a problem.

For my test, it’s not to big of a deal because I can work around it, but the floats in the Mathutils module are only ~32 bits wide.

Example:
object.worldPosition:
[6757714.9975748807, 148.01664733886719, 0.0]

Then after being put into a Mathutils.Vector:
6757715.000000, 148.016647, 0.000000

On the other hand, a unavoidable problem could occur with Blender 2.5 if the output of object.worldPosition is always a Mathutils.Vector object as has been promised.

As this is not necessarily a bug, I hesitate to add it to the bug tracker.

Any thoughts?

This could be simply for formatting of mathutils printing, try…
print(tuple(vec))

Also worth noting that python uses doubles and vectors are floats, we could make them use doubles however the BGE uses doubles AND floats IIRC, so even if you think you have more precission at some point, its lost when converting into floats which bullet uses IIRC.

so the double and the float may print slightly differently, Also, as you get really big numbers like this, floats & doubles loose precision.

I was completely jumping to conclusions. You are right, those numbers are just rounded when displayed.

The reason I hastily came to that conclusion was because of an artifact I was getting, but even after removing all the Mathutils.Vectors from my code the artifact still happened.

That being: The object was jumping around madly.

It turns out that it has nothing to do with Mathutils, Bullet, or the precision of floats and doubles. All of which can easily simulate Pluto’s distance from the Sun with an accuracy slightly better than centimeters.

It is my ati graphics card. I tested the .blend on another computer (Intel integrated) and the object’s movement is as smooth as silk.

I’ll see if my drivers need to be updated.

Are you on Linux? ATI drivers are not that well supported.

I’m on Windows Vista and my drivers appear to be up to date. It’s a laptop, but with everything else it’s been better than my last computer, an old desktop.
I also tried messing with some of the graphics settings, but to no avail.

If anyone else has an ati graphics card, do this test:
With the default scene, set the cube to rigid body physics then move it 12,000,000 units along the x axis. Focus on it and start the game engine. Is it’s movement jagged or smooth? View the cube from numerous angles.
Note: Before you start the game engine, the display will be a little messed up at this distance from the origin.

I must be horrible at coming up with titles, hardly anyone has even looked at this thread.

Is there anyone with an ati card that can confirm the bug I have encountered?

My computer won’t move the cube 12 million units away from origin.

The physics is handled by the CPU not the video card and therfore I think that more is different than you video card.

at the max (10,000) the cube is smooth

intel quad 9300
nvidia 9800 GT

I probably was not clear enough. There is nothing wrong with the gameblender or the physics. If I print the positions of the object, it is smooth.
The problem is only in the 3d visualization, and thus my assumption that it is the graphics card or driver.
At 10,000 I have no problems either. Please try 12,000,000.

Here is a video.