PLEASE HELP! I finally after 4 years have the money for buy a computer, I ONLY HAVE ONE SHOT!

Oh yeah I don’t care about the rbg lights, it could be a completely ugly case for all I care I just want something that works well yknow :sob:
I could have it sent to my workplace ig my boss has let me send small stuff there before. I can’t build a computer, my family would never let me, so knowing there’s a place that’d BUILD IT? That’s awesome! If it comes down to it, I might just need to save a little bit longer and hope disaster doesn’t strike again before I can reach the money I need for it yeah?
Thank you so much for the really in depth answer I’m gonna watch that entire playlist and figure this thing out no matter what

There maybe other good shops or options in the US but I’m not actually in that country and it somewhat depends on exactly where you are and what PC shops you happen to have around you.

I do know from a couple of Youtube sources that I fairly well trust, that Micro Center are a good one and you can just pick the parts and they should build it for a fee of course, but then all those other pre-built systems have a ‘hidden’ build fee anyway.

If they aren’t an option, then maybe someone else that has a much better knowledge of USA PC building options can advise some alternative shops.

1 Like

Sadly, Microshop is nowhere around me. Alongside that looking at all the reviews from the Microshops near me is to say the least not very good with an average star rating of 1.16. The problem with custom builds(I’d love to have a custom build) is my parents are very very very strange about all things tech related, they keep trying to get me to get a basic dell or HP because of the namesake being around for a while. I’m definitely getting a warranty with whatever computer I get.

That’s unfortunate, along with poor reviews for local shops.

Yeah, power of marketing. Have a look at that playlist, some of the worse ones are Dell, HP and Alienware (which is owned by Dell).

2 Likes

Question, do you think 6 cores 3.8 speed is good? Curious, whenever youve got time if ya could give me an opinion Id really appreciate it!

As a base speed, 3.8 GHz isn’t too bad, I would expect/want the boost/max speed to be a good 1.0 GHz faster.

However, this can also very much depend on the power usage rating of the CPU. AMD and even more so Intel just create so many retail ‘versions’ of each generation of CPU that there is almost one for every possible market segment.

What this can mean is that while on the surface two CPU’s may look and have much the same basic specs, they can in fact perform very different. As such it’s not always easy to compare CPU’s even within the same generation, let alone across generations or between manufactures (ie Intel vs AMD).

Usually, price is a fair indication, in that if it costs more, chances are that’s because it performs faster, but even then, it can somewhat depend on your use case. It is very possible to spend twice as much on a CPU and yet only get a 10% increase in performance on what you usually do, simply because the extra cost just didn’t boost things in the area’s you use most.

This is why there are youtube reviews, etc and also why the better ones test a range of different workloads (software) so one can focus on the tasks they want to do most and pick parts that do it best within given budgets and various other limitations.

1 Like

From 1.8 on a 4 core system from 2015, would the jump in quality be very visible? :eyes:

O’ yeah, massive difference. Intel was just cruising along with their 4 cores and fairly low performance gains for ages, since they had no real competition.

Then AMD launched Ryzen. It was a little shaky at first, but once initial issues got sorted out, it left Intel with no choice but to seriously up its game (which took them a bit longer then most expected).

So today, any modern Intel or AMD CPU would leave one from 2015 in it’s dust. Between die shrinkage, architecture improvements, frequency increases, plus the whole ecosystem system around the CPU, so bigger faster RAM (DDR3-DDR4-DDR5), PCIe bus being 2-4 times faster, M.2 NVMe drives that are even 10 times faster then a standard SSD. etc.

The overall performance jump of even a budget system from today, is massive compared to something based on basically decade old technology.

2 Likes

Most of my parts from my current pc are from 2015; extremely budget prebuilt all in one on clearance at the time it was all I could realistically afford, its been an insanely long journey and Im super thankful its lasted as long as it has(given I run barely anything on it and nothing too intense so it’ll survive).
I cant put into words how excited I am for the jump from a decade old bad piece of tech to a new age really good one, Im SO HAPPY