Please help with rendering problem

Hi, first of all I want to say that i tried to search for a previous thread with my problem, but, although I found several ones with rendering problems, I could not find one that pertains to my specific issue. So i have no choice but to start a new thread.
I am very new at this, I have just started using blender and on the first project that i am doing, i am not able to export the project at all.
I have tried to render as different types (H.264, and a few others of the normal types i usually use when working on Final Cut), but it just does not work. I tried this twice, left the computer rendering over night, for the first 5-6 hours it seems to be rendering normally, then I go to sleep and wake up the next day, to find Blender has closed, then i find a .mov file on the folder where its supposed to go, but Quicktime tells me “this is not a movie file” and I cannot open with any other programs such as VLC, or try to convert it to another video format but also I get an error message.
I am not sure if Blender is just crashing and will not work in my computer or what…
Help please.

Painful isn’t it, encoding for hours to find it’s failed due to a crash, or the qualities not good enough, that somethings not quite right and need to re-encode some of it, banding problems, flicker, jitter, you name it.

I’d suggest rendering to image sequences like .png and then encode out after to your final movie codec(s). Image sequences means the bulk of blenders work is done, all the compositing calculations, image processing etc all is left is the encode out. If you decide you want to encode to a different codec for another purpose it’s straight forward to go from your master image sequences.

Trying to convert to another codec after encoding it out already is asking for trouble and quality loss.

Not all combinations work well in Blender, I have successfully produced .MOV for both Quicktime and VLC, I use the following setting (F10, Render Buttons):
Format = FFMpeg
Video (tab) Format = Quicktime, Codec=XVid
Audio (tab) = PCM
Good luck,
Cheers !

There are many combinations of codecs and containers that work in blender.

But I think the issue is that of stability or lack of it, causing crashes not encoder combinations. Stability will generally be down to the amount of processing power / memory usage etc that blender is demanding to render and process what maybe a heavy scene or what appears to be a lightweight scene with some crazy settings. :slight_smile:

To then add encoding on top of that maybe asking too much of the hardware being used.

There are many reasons to use image sequences first, specifically to this problem, by rendering to image sequences first, you can pick up where you left off after a crash. :slight_smile: And have uncompressed source material to work with. :slight_smile:

Then use blender or VDub or Avidemux + a wider choice of encoders and flexibility to encode out the image sequences and mux in the audio quite quickly.

thank you for your replies, i think the problem is my hardware is not strong enough (just a macbook, no fancy stuff), i tried different ways and different codecs and same thing happened each time, rendering seems fine for 4-5 hours, then i go to sleep, wake up to find blender closed and movie not playable.
Could you break down a little more detailed how to render to image sequences, and then encoding it after? i think thats pretty much my only choice right now…

You could render to image sequences or raw avi. You will need quite a bit of disk space probably, but if you’re unsure as to how much is needed render one frame first, I’d suggest .png file type, set the directory to render to, render the frame using the ‘Render’ button, check it’s file size and then calculate how much space for the full project as images.

Then leave .png as the file type, set the quantity of frames you want to do, for example 1 to 1000, the frame rate, render them using the ‘Animation’ button, then 1001 to 2000 render them etc until you’ve done. It will allow you to gauge ability of your Macbook.

Once all the images are rendered. You could then use Blender to encode to a movie format either by loading the images into the Composite Nodes or into the sequencer in a new empty project. The sequencer is better if you want to add an audio track, transitions, titles etc.

Then encode out as you have been trying to do.