Please keep the Dos Box clean

Hi. I am very annoyed about what Blender writes into the Dos Box on every Start of the Game Engine. In my Case, it is a huge Text Block like this:

GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series
GL_VERSION:  4.5.13431 Compatibility Profile Context 16.150.2211.0
Supported Extensions...
 GL_ARB_shader_objects supported?       yes.
 GL_ARB_vertex_shader supported?        yes.
 ----------Details----------
  Max uniform components.16384
  Max varying floats.128
  Max vertex texture units.32
  Max combined texture units.192

GL_ARB_fragment_shader supported?      yes.
  Max uniform components.16384

GL_ARB_texture_cube_map supported?     yes.
  Max cubemap size.16384

GL_ARB_multitexture supported?         yes.
  Max texture units available.  8

GL_ARB_texture_env_combine supported?  yes.
 GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two supported  yes.

I use the DosBox a lot when wiriting and testing Python scripts. Checking differences bitween a couple of Game runnings is no more possible, as long the Box get spamed that Way. There is no need for this huge Info Block on every start.

I wold be thankfull, if this could shown on a better Place, and only if needed.
Thank You.

I agree. I posted about this a while ago. I think the right name is console, rather than dos box but I know what you’re talking about.
I like to use the console for debugging but it’s pretty difficult when it keeps getting spammed with graphics card info every time you run BGE. I see it could be useful for reporting bugs but why not have a button/option for it then?

Hi! here is a patch I quickly made: http://www.pasteall.org/70843/diff for the last blender sources (I’m not sure this is the best place to put the code). It adds a button (unchecked by default) to choose to display hardware infos or not. Maybe you can ask on IRC #bgecoders if Moguri or Kupoman would be ok. I’ll ask panzergame too.

EDIT: my patch keeps: Blender Game Engine Started/Blender Game Engine Finished

It would be cool also to display correct Max uniform components… according to GL_VENDOR… For ATI and intel iirc you have to divide by 4 to have the correct result.

I actually like having that big block there, it makes it clear where one run ends and the previous one begins. Previously I sometimes included a print("-------------------------------------- NEW GAME ----------------------------------") to indicate where this happened.

But yeah, I have no idea why it suddenly started getting displayed.

Instead of a wall of text, replace it with either — engine start------(when you start it) or ----engine ends----- (when you close it/game)
should be easy enough to implement / replace current wall of text that noone cares about except the developpers/coders of the engine.

i like a line to say when it end or start, but this info is anoying indeed.

I use embedded mode. These information appeared to me on Blender start only, which can easily be ignored. When I start the embedded BGE I just get the start/end output.

But I agree such information should be explicitly requested (e.g. via command line argument).

(from 2.76)

AL lib: (EE) UpdateDeviceParams: Failed to set 44100hz, got 48000hz instead
found bundled python: D:\Program Files (x86)\blender-2.76-windows32\2.76\python
Detected GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
Detected GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
Detected GL_ARB_multitexture
Detected GL_ARB_shader_objects
Detected GL_ARB_vertex_shader
Detected GL_ARB_fragment_shader
Detected GL_ARB_vertex_program
Detected GL_ARB_depth_texture
Detected GL_EXT_separate_specular_color

Blender Game Engine Started
Blender Game Engine Finished

Blender Game Engine Started
Blender Game Engine Finished

@Monster: “e.g. via command line argument” I’m not sure about that because the user would have to make and execute a script to have this infos (which can be useful to join in a bug report), and all the users don’t know python. My patch adds just a button beside Mouse Cursor in the ui to display the requested infos in the console…

@youle

Will this be available in UPBGE 0.0.8 or only for BFBGE?

@Wisaam: I made the patch for BF BGE. If the patch is accepted, it will be in blender 2.78 and I guess in upbge 0.0.8 or 0.0.9 (As we import code from Blender into upbge (after we solve conficts)). I asked panzergame but I have no answer for the moment. I guess this patch doesn’t need several devs to review it as it’s a mini patch. So I guess if panzergame is ok, he can commit it in Blender sources (as he has commit rights). But if needed, I’ll make a revision and add several official developers reviewers.