Plioplatecarpus lifesized

Hello everyone,
I’d like to share the working in progress of my next maker faire project:
A 5 meters Plioplatecarpus!
I’have to finish the 3d model in short time and I’m already making some 3dprinted prototype.

Here the head prototype:

The next step rigth now is to find the better way to make scales in a procedural way or maybe just use a painted displacement map

3 Likes

hei @Rastart do you give us some more info on the materialization step?
the 3d printer that you use how big is it?
you split the model into multiple pieces?
and for the coloring how do you proceed?
the lead times?

(i tuoi lavori sono megalomani comunque hahah) :wink:

Ahaha megalomania is an Italian heritage…
I m interested in experimenting big application of 3d printing cause i work in Scenic design area… You must be able to see them from afar :slight_smile:
Btw for this project we have four 50cm3 custom fdm printer at work, once we used a 100cm3 printer but the production time of such big Pieces exceed the real life production deadline, better think fdm printer like a multicore processor, so we ll print It on more printers in pieces of 505030 to be assembled, in this way the head in the picture was printed in Just One day.
For postproduction I’ll use polyurethanic resin and fiberglass to fix junction and general consolidation (pla plastic in fdm proces could be apparently strong but in long time It suffer warping and delamination due to fact that It’s not a single cast of material but more like a mass of glued wires)
The finish of the head Is made in high quality acrylic color, once sanded the ground i used a sponge for final color layer.

1 Like

congratulations, I can’t wait to see the final result !
don’t forget us :slight_smile:

1 Like

The PLIOPLATECARPUS LIFEZIDED MODEL IS DONE!

Next days postproduction phase and finally exposition at maker faire…

2 Likes

Ok! PLIOPLATECARPUS is at maker faire Rome!
…any ideas for the next project?

a big thank you to all those who supported me!

2 Likes

@bartv
this fish is giant don’t you think?
:joy:

1 Like

Wow that’s a big print indeed :slight_smile:

Hadn’t seen this, another member put me on to it.

Excellent work.

Thanks! In our 3d printing Lab we are paleoart enthusiats…
We just started a new project: “Anurognathus ammoni”, hopefully a little one buy tricky, now we are find the best way of make dinosaur’s feathers (pycnofibers)…
It s nice to find here people interested in this field!

I’ve got similar interests, coincidentally I’m working on a pterosaur too.