Plz comment on my PC upgrade

Should i change something in my current PC conf?

Was gonna go with Supermicro, but no M.2 SSD.
I guess the i7 6700k has 64GB limit.
Maybe the Viewsonic VG2401mh monitor is better?

Don’t need 850W PSU, but it has the zero RPM fan feature when load is below 40%

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3zYbNG

Depends on what you want to use it for.
There are many factors to consider when building pc, just throwing in high spec parts could lead to small bottlenecks and sometimes stability issues, so you end up just wasting money. Many builders seem to just throw in parts with big numbers without ever considering the math behind how the parts communicate.

My knowledge of PC hardware is getting out of date, so I can’t give you much advice, but assuming your intention is a good Blender computer, I have a couple of points. Depending on your needs, Blender renders fastest with either a powerful CPU (more cores the better) or a powerful GPU. In my experience, hard disk size/speed and memory size are not so important. I’m stuck with a laptop (I’m on solar power), so my main bottlenecks are render time (due to a slow GPU) and screen size - I seldom find that 8GB RAM is too small. If you are buying a fast GPU, you can get away with a cheaper CPU. Apparently people are getting good render times with R9 GPUs now, but it seems (see here) that there are many things that AMD doesn’t do, like smoke and clouds so for my needs, I’d be looking for an NVIDIA card (with a second monitor because you can never have too much screen real-estate).

I agree with Kauranga. Cycles does have better support for Nvidia’s CUDA, AMD with OpenCL has only been given some love in recent times. I still work on a socket 775 pc with 4GB of ram, so ram is not an issue, though I did use low latency ram, which was high end for its time. You could save some money by going for a AMD FM2 or AM3 FX series setup.

I’ve seen people use mobos with crossfire/SLI support, then using both AMD and Nvidia cards on the same system, Usually the AMD for gaming and the Nvidia for Blender, After Effects etc. But to play it safe, maybe get an i5, 8-16gb ram and 1 really good Nvidia card with as many CUDA cores as possible.

Unless you need something for scientifice/engineering purposes, in which case it would be better off with Xeon/i7 and a high end Quaddro card for precision and better driver support.

Thank you Kauranga and DerpGoose.
Perhaps i’m gonna go with Nvidia GPU. I was concerned the GPU memory is not enough for rendering.
Then i don’t need that much main memory anyways.

Now i’m often maxing out my main memory of 8GB when modeling in Blender and the undo is even turned off.
128 Gb used to cost like 4-5k back in few years and now the price is so good.
Also interested to see if SPPM rendering benefits when i push eye rays up per photon pass.
And the BiDir VCM would be nice to play with, it’s so memory hungry.

Aah ok, so you do a lot of Raytracing rendering with lots of textures, possibly video editing too? Then I’d suggest 32-64gb of ram, Nvidia Titan X or 980 Ti with an i5-i7. Otherwise is you want to save some money, go with an AM3 FX-8350 or FX-9570 with a good watercooler and the Radeon R9 390X, then just render the unsupported cycles passes(volumetric mostly) on the CPU and the rest on the GPU, however it does have a higher power consumption.

Thank you DerpGoose.

What would be good monitor?
With last monitor i had, the LG 22EA53, the brightness is not constant, it’s like jumping on it own.
When i load web page like http://noctua.at/
the background texture on that page makes screen flicker and even crashes the screen (makes screen super hot very quick).

Looks like some monitors have constant LED light source tech. What else to look for after high Hz and low ms response?

Don’t forget to give your motherboard and ram selection a little love as well. Keep in mind you will get what you pay for in those regards and when you are having scenes with gigs of texture and millions of verts (Something that is not all that hard to do actually) one of your huge bottlenecks will be your motherboard and ram. And don’t forget to add in some cooling for your mobo and ram.

I agree with Joseph, a good mobo does help a lot. When purchasing a CPU, check out its Memory controller bandwidth speed 1866, 2133 etc, then buy memory matching that same speed, I’ve noticed it minimizes bottlenecking. As for a monitor, look for monitors which are optimized for the Adobe color profile and a good gamma spectrum. Some of these monitors can be expensive for a 27", around $2000 in some cases, however it is meant for professional grade commercial use. If you want precision, then I’d suggest also investing in a monitor calibration tool.

One thing to add, When it comes to building a system you will have what is the best options for what would build the best system and some real world constraints…like money. I am guilty of buying the $20 mobo, the $60 end of stock sale processor and whatever cheep video card I could. And I’ll be honest as a machine to get someone though school and do some modest gaming and even modest 3d work it will be a fine machine that will serve them well until they can afford better. There is nothing wrong with doing that. The machine on your desk is worth 1000 times the one in your dreams.

Now on the other hand. If you are going to build a machine for higher end work, expect to spend at least a week researching. Do your shopping and check prices, read product reviews and modder forums. Spend a little time to understand what those numbers mean and if you can’t understand them then find someone to explain them to you.

When building a cheep machine the point is to get something that will get you in the game. When building a higher end machine the point is to build a machine that will do you good today and tomorrow. My personal advice for building the higher end machine is too much cooling and too much powersupply. Both of those tend to be the thing that decides your computers life-time. The closer you get to using the max capacity of your powersupply, the more heat you will make and the greater the odds of something unpleasant happening. (I say this as an electronics tech for aviation systems with decades of experience in working in electronics and troubleshooting to the component level both in field and at the bench, and it is always the kid who has built 1 pc and put in 2 video cards who thinks they know better and tells me I am full of shit…then I wait a year for the sob story and make some popcorn) Be a little grand when you get your powersupply, don’t be the person who decided to save $30-50 and get the substandard powersupply because it was cheep. It is cheep for a reason and that reason is to make it attractive to buy not build a machine that lasts. Don’t let your desire to buy an extra game this week ruin your day a year from now when you are in the middle of a project for someone and have reputation on the line. If you are going to spend something like a thousand dollars to build a machine you might as well build it right, Building performance machines is not about saving money it is about building a machine you can depend on for years to come.

If you decide to go with a 980ti or TitanX, I would stick with Windows 7 or some version of Linux, as it appears that there is some serious slow down using Windows 10 with those graphic cards in cycles. See here for more information/details: http://code.blender.org/2016/02/new-cycles-benchmark/ https://developer.blender.org/T45093 It’s possible that in the near future, that this will be sorted out, but for now; I would steer clear. Perhaps wait for the new Pascal based graphic card that will soon be out and see how they fare.

@ joseph raccoon
My last PSU (Chieftec 750W) has served me 7 years.
I guess it’s give and take, any make of PSU may burn down your PC when you get faulty one.
It’s kind of scary when speaking of expensive PC.

Apparently the faster i7-5820k will also work with 128GB of memory if i update the Bios.
Can’t believe the Kingston ValueRAM set is only 500 $ for 128GB, and it’s the same speed as default i7-5820k runs on (FSB 2133 MHz).

About that USB 3.1
When PC case has USB 3.0 in front panel, can i connect 3.1 cable from motherboard to that, or should i be looking for newer case with 3.1?

The closer to max load you pull off of that PSU the shorter its life span tends to be. But 7 years ago a 750 watt powersupply would handle most rigs on the market and would still give you room to upgrade in a few years.

And don’t get me wrong, last week(or the week before) I built a machine with a 600 watt psu in it, But it had an older AMD phenon processor, and a pass me down nvidia gtx 550 in it. But I also told the kid I sold it to that it was a machine that would get him in the game on a budget, but it was still kind of a junker. But hay he’s got a machine to do homework on now, it can poop him out some gaming and it should serve him decently till he gets a new one. But for $250 its a damn fine machine. And something to fall back on when and if his next machine craps out on him.

@ joseph raccoon
My 750W only run 60W CPU and 180W GPU. Last 3 years of it, i have had low end GPU 75W in max load.
There is that, plus i don’t game :slight_smile:

For a GPU rendering, i just might go with 1000W PSU, if i keep 1 low end 60W GPU for desktop, and another 300W for rendering.
The CPU is 140W. I should have plenty of room for hybrid PSU to run in full load with fan in zero rpm.

Your PSU also runs the HDD, Motherboard and Ram as well! Not to mention system fans! All of those add up to wattage useage by your system and motherboard and Ram powerusage tends to be a Pita to research! So most likely you had about 500ish being pulled off of it all said and done.

Can air cooler keep 5820k CPU temp below 50 c when running 100% load 24/7 ?