png or tif: which is faster?

Hi all. Newbie question: I’m about to save 100 large images (each around 4000 x 4000 px) for use as textures. I’m creating an “infinite zoom” using of 100 flat images of different sizes. I had planned to save my images as PNG, but note that large PNGs take a long time to save. Are there speed issues with rendering? Should I use TIFF or JPG instead? Transparency would be nice (hence PNG) but is not essential. Memory use and speed are critical.

Also, does Blender load all textures at once, or just the ones in use? My computer only has 3GB memory. I plant to only have 4 images visible at any time, but will Blender try to uncompress all 100 textures in the scene at once?

Thanks for any advice.

PNG take longer to save because the save algorithm can use a form of lossless compression to reduce file size.

TIFF images can be compressed and contain alpha channels as well.

If you import all 100 images into Blender, yes Blender will load them at once when the file is opened.

TIFF can be more flexible for texturing if you are not completely sure of what render system you are targeting. For instance, when I started using Renderman style render system I discovered that TIFF was the preferred format and PNGs were not supported natively.

1 Like

Thanks. That’s worth knowing. Looks like I’ll have to save the animation in about ten stages. I haven’t looked at Blender’s camera animation yet, but hopefully it can be defined very precisely, so the completed animation merges smoothly.

it better for tiff image compared with lossless png image file. tiff can be compressed with lots of compression schemes. thus image can be quickly saved.