Poetry

Poetry is now mostly school days when you had to memorize, recite and interpret (not stage!) poems as i.a. I did. Poland has had many poets, and one of them, Wisława Szymborska, got the Nobel Prize. Still, the “Mount Rushmore” of Polish poetry are: Adam Mickiewicz, Juliusz Słowacki, Cyprian Norwid and Zygmunt Krasiński. Norwid is the patron of 2021 in Poland and he is not so well known as, in particular, Mickiewicz and Słowacki. Yet, his poetry is most intellectual of their works which makes it special as e.g. Mickiewicz was all about emotions and open about it. Mickiewicz wrote “Czucie i wiara silniej mówi do mnie niż mędrca szkiełko i oko” and Polish people know this quotation. And what is your poetic experience these days?

… that’s a way of poetry going extinct. Captured by elitists. Dogmatized. Indoctrinated to be something it’s not. Totally absurd.

On the other hand, is very alive and well on streets and in hearts… poetry is action!

Agreed. Poetry often goes with fight, resistance and action. I guess this is forever. The example here is Baczyński who died young fighting in the 1944 uprising. By the way, this piece by Saul Williams is a strong one. Still, Władysław Broniewski’s poems have no less power and people of my age know at least one of them.

1 Like