Point Cloud Visualizer

which pcv and blender versions you got? there was blender api change i think 2.82? and also 2.91

if you load ply sequence and have camera in scene, you click animation button in pcv render panel and it will render your timeline from active camera as png files with points on transparent, then you can load rendered sequence in blender compositor add background, etc, and render to video using blender

output path is set in pcv render panel, as well as image size and other options.

IM using blender 2.9 and PCV vers 1.7 and im pulling in point cloud data that was gathered using the azure kinect

When running a ‘convert’ to icospheres the vertex colors are not transferred to the spheres, so the spheres render as grey. there is a ‘missing vertex normals’ warning when i open a .ply that was generated from the zure sdk

actually, disregard. i was rendering wrong.

glad you sorted it out. it might help if some basic material using created vertex colors is added to convert mesh product, i’ll add it to next release. with particles/instancer it is already there because it is not simple setup, but basic meshes can have that as well…

it is already there, i added it and forgot about that, now i don’t understand what went wrong…

Love the plugin, this is a lifesaver on my current job!

Unfortunately I’m running into a weird error installing open3d. I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling, deleting the directories specified in the error, etc. I have zero experience with Python so the error message isn’t super helpful to me.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks!

did you follow instructions from docs?

• internet connection is needed and Blender needs access to it
  • on Windows use Blender zip distribution instead of installer
  • on Windows start Blender by right click and Run as administrator
  • open addon preferences
  • check Extras checkbox and click Install Open3D

i see you’re on win, so you need to use zip distribution. error on screenshot is just that pip (package installer) encountered an error, and most likely it is that it does not have permission to write into Program Files. this is something i have no solution for yet. even if blender from installer distribution is run as administrator, it’s python’s pip has no permission to write there.

download zip distribution, unzip somewhere suitable, run blender as admin, install pcv, install open3d from inside pcv, it should work. if not, go in blender Window ‣ Toggle System Console (https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/2.79/advanced/command_line/introduction.html#microsoft-windows) and paste here output. there should be written the real error during installation.

edit: one more thing, open3d is installed directly into blender files, so if you delete directory with blender zip distribution, you delete installed open3d as well, unlike with addons which are installed somewhere else (%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\)

Dang, I missed the “run as admin” step! Totally my bad. It’s all working great now, thanks for the help!
If I could trouble you with a follow up question:

I’m trying to work with a point cloud from a client that is outrageously large (270 million points) and Blender crashes on import. I’ve checked out prior comments here and it sounds like it’s a ram issue. Is there a suggested work around, or will I just have to reduce the point count?

Thanks!

i think so, for example, on my machine with 32gb ram and 4gb vram i can load ply around 200 mil, before it starts swapping and it is completely unusable, not even navigating viewport. around 50 mil is maximum to work with.

loading ply? binary or ascii? or text based import? binary ply is fastest to load and takes less memory while loading. all text based takes much more memory while reading