Point Cloud Visualizer

Hi, I’m trying to install PCV 2.1.0 in Blender 3.5 Alpha to use with the simulation geometry nodes, but get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-3.5.0\3.5\scripts\modules\addon_ utils.py", line 369, in enable mod.register()
File "C:\Usersluser\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.5\scripts\addons\point_ cloud_ visualizer\_ init_py", line 85, in register bpy.utils.register class(cls)
ValueError: register class(...): already registered as a subclass 'PCV ascii format column item'

Any ideas? Totally understand that you don’t support Alpha versions, just wondering if there’s an easy fix!

hi, restart blender after old version is removed. then install new. don’t remove old and install new in one blender session

https://jakubuhlik.com/docs/pcv/docs.html#update

1 Like

Oops missed that in the docs, thanks a lot!

I’m very pleased with the new additions !! Smooth sailing.

I don’t know how easy it would be to handle since I guess the points are drawn separately from the geometry (on top ?) but I very often find myself looking for my vertices and edges when there are are point behind it.

Here’s a snippet of the problem

Animation5

Would it be possible to add an option to draw geometry on top of the points in edit mode ?

not sure what is it. i let some point draw, i add mesh, go to edit mode, mesh vertices are drawn above points, even single vertex, if they are above points of course

Screen Shot 2023-01-26 at 23.04.55

i tried with factory defaults, it’s the same…

can you send me a blend with something so i see it with your display settings? do you use some xray settings anywhere? from what i see, pcv is not set to draw on top because points go through the other mesh in background

Hehe yes you’re very right, it happens in X-RAY mode and in Wire display mode, I should have been more specific.

It is a particular workflow where I use meshes as booleans to cut through objects to model openings in walls for doors and windows for example. So I need to see through the objects for when I collide with the Point Cloud, hence the wire mode.

Is it a limitation of the renderer ? I’m fine with it either way, I just wanted to know if I missed a setting somewhere :slight_smile:

To add a bit of information, when I go into X ray mode, the vertices disappear, but the edges are never shown if the object is in Wire display mode.

Animation6

that’s weird indeed, Suzanne is set to wire and is in edit mode…

Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 16.27.46

i think, from what i see, once something is in wire and in edit mode (and something with xray?), depth buffer is cleared, and everything drawn after (i.e. coming from python) is draw over it no matter what… (i am just speculating)
so nothing to do with it… apart from drawing mesh from python once more together with points…

1 Like

Alright it makes sense, thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot !

I’ve put together a script to force drawing the mesh using the gpu module, inspired by what the BlenderBIM addon does when creating openings. To be honest I copy/pasted it and removed the parts about object mode since I only care about edit mode.

Animation1

Here’s a link to the code FWIW

1 Like