Pointiness issue

2.8 dont support pointisess ( geometry node )
is there a way to have the poininess effect or shoud i bake her texture effect in cycle ?
(( sorry if you have problem with my english and thanks ))

as far as i know, you have to bake the effect. (in cycles, for eevee)
i don’t like the pointiness effect very much, often it’s nicer to use the bevel-node instead (you need less geometrie):

2 Likes

thanks … i didnt know about the bevel node

what the dot product do exactly ?

the bevel-node is not ‘beveling’ in eevee, but there is an effect with this node setup in eevee even without baking (but not accurate)
the explanation of the dot-product should give the math-freaks here, i’m just an end-user :slight_smile:

i understand thaks a lot
hhh math

the first picture was with cycle to ?

yes, first with cycles, second in eevee (with subdivision modifier)

am i doing somthing wrong …

no, i don’t think so. it’s not really meant to use the bevel-node in eevee, in your example the subdivision is too high. you can adjust the color ramp, 0,99 first marker - 1 second marker, but the effect is getting smaller with more subdivisions

ahaa … fix it thanks for your time … and sorry for asking a lot

ha, i can’t reproduce the effect in eevee now :frowning: :slight_smile:

thats eevee hhhhh
i just start using 2.8 last day … and i feel like what i learn from last year to to now is going to the trash
evry thing is diffrent

aah, the object must be set shade smooth…

The dot product of two normalized vectors (vectors with a length of 1) is a value between -1 and 1 that has a relationship to the angle between the two vectors. -1 means the vectors are pointing in opposite directions, 1 means the vectors are identical, 0 means the vectors are at right angles.

If you take the arccosine of the dot product, you have the angle between the vectors. That is to say, the cosine of the angle is equal to the dot product-- the dot product is the cosine, they’re the same thing.

You can use this to do all sorts of comparisons between vectors like the normal, the incoming vector, vectors to empties (via object coords), etc.