My thoughts about Poliigon

Edit*

BD3D from 2018 was too salty, please don’t pay attention :slight_smile:

In short, my polligon credits disappeared due to anti-consumerism terms of use back in the days and I got but-hurt. I think after that they resolved the issue

4 Likes

I’m not a Poliigon customer, but I’d like to hear the rationale for why paid credits expire. That sounds like scam stuff to me. Most stock photo sites I use for work, we purchase credits and they last until we use them.

Edit: looking over the pricing it’s kind of a weird pseudo-subscription/credit system. Still think it’s dumb that credits expire, but it’s not quite the same as other systems I’ve used.

Here are some free texture sites I’ve used. They probably don’t have as big of a library, but they’re good quality.

6 Likes

They also think they can suddenly change their license agreement behind everyone’s back and what they used to offer as CC0 “free” content can now no longer be used commercially… Not realising there are legal precedents protecting “customers” against them trying to do that.

Thanks for the feedback !
I think textures.com is one of the best paid option I know of …
It’s too bad poliigon act like this, it seemed a good option to me, like xrg said there is a lot of free stuff already , here is one good site : https://texture.ninja

1 Like

I am a Poliigon user and while I do really like the quality of their textures, I will not subscribe for exactly this reason of credits expiring. I don’t want to have to be pressured to use up credits on textures I don’t have any projects for yet. So I am forced to go with their most expensive option of purchasing credit bundles that don’t expire.

2 Likes

for 20$ on subscription you can have 300 credits that have “expiration”
for 20$ on non subscritption you only have 50 non expiring credits

thanks for the link , personally i use this site
https://www.sketchuptextureclub.com/textures
theres also a sbubscirption : 10$ … a year … for having the access of high res images
i really recommand this site

Hi,
How does that work, let’s say I sell an object textured with one of their textures (paid membership). Is that allowed? For example I model furniture in Blender, use their texture to texture the models and sell the furniture as .blend .fbx etx on gumroad or blendermarket. I checked the https://www.sketchuptextureclub.com/terms-of-use but I am not sure.

no i dont think you can do that
but well , why dont you modify them on photoshop ? apply some filters , use some stamp brush and the texture is now yours , cant we do that ? after all, all the texture comes from photos they dont own , and even the photographs of thoses took pictures of things that they dont own … copyright is such absurd sometime …

1 Like

Hmm that’s odd. I pay 22$ a month and right now I have 1562 credits on my account…

Do the credits roll-over if I have a Subscription? Do they expire?

If you have an active Subscription, credits on the Hobby plan will roll-over for 1 month and credits on the Freelancer and Production plans will roll-over for 3 months . Please note that if your Subscription expires, credits will no longer roll-over and will expire instead.

On-demand credits do not expire, even if your subscription expires.

after three month you stop accumulating for no reasons

The company I work for have two accounts with different stock image companies, they both use the credit subscription model, where you get a very reasonable amount of downloads (credits) a month, but that number does not carry over each month. That seems pretty standard. It would be like renting a tool from a hardware store, not using it, and returning it after the week you rented it for and expecting them to refund you because you decided not to use it. Or subscribing to a magazine, but wanting a refund because you didn’t read it. I think you see what I’m getting at. Most of your other issues I can’t speak about, however, if textures are just the same image with the levels and curves applied to them, that’s kind of shitty. But in all honesty, whether their textures are good or not, complaining that your rig can’t handle memory is a poor reason to blame the company. Things like bump, glossy maps, textures, etc. Are important for realism. So if you want that level of realism and control, either build a better rig, use a render farm, reduce the texture size (an obvious one), or simply only use the textures you want and absorb any results that don’t turn out exactly how you expect. From what I can tell, this doesn’t sound like a scam as you suggest, just a product you seem to not need.

2 Likes

I know, but:
Adnotacja

so I have credits from over 5 months. I’ll better spend them today. :stuck_out_tongue:

Which stock image companies are you using?

Just use the good old faithful textures.com. They’ve also started adding full pbr texture sets too, and they are better quality imo.

1 Like

I’ve never seen a reason to use poliigon. There are so many free textures out there and if you are a professional (employed or freelancer), you can just pay 20 bucks a month for the substance suite, which gets you access to designer, painter, b2m AND substance source. That seems way cheaper and better than poliigon…

3 Likes

Andrew Price has always seemed like a huckster to me.

All sizzle, no steak.

3 Likes

Exactly. Now combine that with free texture sites and google image search, and using a tool like Bitmap2Material, AwesomeBump or the latest one Materialize and you’ll get more flexibility, more ways to create shaders and in general more creative ways to do things.

Since i became a Substance abuser i actually never used textures anymore except for rare exceptions.

2 Likes

Don’t forget quixel guys, mixer is dope!

1 Like

I kinda feel sorry for the Quixel guys, now that they’ll get brushed aside by allegorithmics alchemy magic.