Political correctness hits Python (yes, the language that Blender uses)

In the Godot project, the word ‘slave’ has since been replaced with ‘puppet’. However, as I mentioned with the attempted pull request, the person who created it didn’t see it as going far enough and felt the master terminology had to go anyway, regardless of what it was coupled with.

One thing I was meaning here is that the evolution is a bit more agenda driven than it used to be, and the list of words to strike or change now includes a bit more than just slurs (like the color names I mentioned).

Still, the logic kind of puts me at a loss here. You get offended by a slur and people will rush to your side and condemn the person who said it. However, it someone sprays the F-bomb, S-word, and other profanities and you mention how it offends you, those same people who ridicule you because “they’re just words”. It’s a bit of a double-standard to say the least.

What colour names are you continually referring to?

You can’t prove that language is more agenda driven than before. Look at the history of what “The West” meant. It used to mean Christian territories back in the Crusades, then it became Protestant Christian territories during the reformation. Then in the 20th century it meant any countries that were against the Axis, which included countries like India, China, the USSR, and Ethiopia. Now “The West” tends to refer to capitalist societies (Western Europe, North America, Australia, parts of South America and Africa). It has never had anything to do with geographical location or any other sort of logic, just whatever was the driving agenda at the time. Same goes for the phrase “First/Third World Countries”, which used to mean capitalist/communist countries (second world was any country not affiliated with either political view). Now “third world” has been replaced by “developing” and is generally referring to poorer African and Asian countries.

So if by “before” you mean “prior to 1000 AD” you might be right, but it would be hard to prove because of the lack of manuscripts before that age.

As I said before, language is always evolving and changing driven by agendas, society and culture. You might just not see it if it happens to align with your side.

Post-modernist and Marxists are sick in the head. Its NOT about preventing harm or protecting people from negative emotions, it is a political movement to change every aspect of our society even against the will of the majority and the end goal will be gulags and millions/billions of dead people.
Its nothing more than the will to power and control. Leftist extremist are as dangerous (or even more) than fascist.
You can easily recognize that by observing the incredible huge hubris and double-standard of these people.
They don’t even practice what they are preaching.
People are fighting against it because they know and have learned from the history of the soviet union.

5 Likes

Black and white, there’s been actual pull requests on github trying to get of the terms because of them being “racially loaded” or something. The simple fact that the color names were even used in that way by a small minority of people is enough for some of the radical elements in society to condemn them.

I won’t comment on the rest due to religious discussion not being allowed, but the point of this thread is to discuss agenda-driven changes to software that could potentially be disruptive to those who use it every day (especially if the user has a big project with lots of code and common function names are changed for no constructive reason). Now I am skeptical of the idea that future compilers will throw errors and stop a program if it detects an insensitive variable name, but the combination of what’s possible and the sheer radical views out there means that even a crazy thing such as that can’t be completely ruled out (even though the chance is very small).

There is an easy solution to that mess:
Let the radicals who propose that bullshit, do all the work, pay for all the changes and make them responsible for all the problems stemming from the change.

2 Likes

Definition of racism will also change, now we know here is only one race of homo sapiens so “race” word will be removed, sooner or later.

Come to think of it, zero is offensive too :wink:! Nobody wants to be called “zero” - Let’s eradicate zero from math and programming!

But seriously, that “correctness in programming” is insane. And there are many words “innocent” in one language, but their written form is rude in the other.

Now, I hesitate to give you example, because i don’t want this post to offend someone. So I will talk with riddles - there’s the word, 4 letters, starts with “d” - and means the see in one language, but the a… (you know, the part of the body you sitting…) - in another.

2 Likes

same idea people are trying to re rewrite books and other things
to make them politically correct or supposedly less offensive
but this is also re writing history to hide words / things people don’t like

how about simply stick with the simple truth as it is or was!

oh no people don’t like the real truth only their own acceptable truth!

if your afraid of words then don’t talk, listen or read anything
problem solved.

this will never end = infinite loop in python LOL

happy bl

4 Likes

Bad word are always relative, ban “slave”, there will be another word that’s causing the problem.

Few people already careers ruined over “dongle”.

Agreed. It’s frightening that they feel so comfortable with this double-think crap. Far-Left and Far-Right are insane. There is no sanity anymore.

1 Like

Last week Victor Stinner, a Python developer who works for Red Hat, published four pull requests seeking to change “master” and “slave” in Python documentation and code to terms like “parent,” “worker,” or something similarly anodyne.

Which is the standard use in programming. Never seen “Master” or “slave” in code.
Maybe some 50-60 year olds might get upset because in the good old BIOS, DOS, or whatever days they used it. Otherwise parent, child and worker is the norm.

3 Likes

This must be a ploy from the industry to sabotage and stall the development speed of opensource projects since as as is historically proven,it will take years till the documentation for opensource projects is updated with those changes.

1 Like

Master is master, nothing wrong with the word or its meaning. Proper word for the one who serves is servant.
Guess humanism was a collective dream, an illusion.

1 Like

main-qimg-317a3dd0ee67c8b0cb3b747adfe42c0f-c

I think of this guy every time there is a discussion on offensive words. And while we can outlaw this or that word we will never outlaw it’s meaning and that is a problem that has been tormenting the medical profession for centuries, everytime they come up with a new word for a condition popular culture coops it and then it becomes offensive and they need to come up with a new more vague term, which will last maybe a generation if that.

But I have to wonder, how pathetic is someone that they permit themselves to be mastered by a word, and I’m not going to deny that they can hurt but yeah, imagine going through life and missing your life’s dreams because someone used a bad word, honestly who wants to be such a person?

Myself personally, I’m going to listen to Uncle Tyrion, I think he is on to something.

1 Like

What’s with people’s posts getting censored?

Talk about political correctness, either that or it’s a few overly sensitive crybabies who can’t stand opposing views.

2 Likes

Absolute nonsense. Coding is one place I go to get away from politics…

Sadly, it’s getting far more difficult now as everything under the sun gets politicized.

Here in America, you can’t even go to a football game as a way to escape anymore. The options where you can just escape opinions and activism and simply have fun is dwindling every year.

post removed

Yup. Politics have definitely come to the Blender board.

That’s nice, but Fweeb declared the J.P. discussion done, it’s best to respect his decision. That’s not to mention that topic following is a bit more enforced on this forum than it used to be.

Now on the subject of the growing worry by devs. over using ‘correct language’, I know for one thing that as someone who is not a fan of this type of thing, I will spending more time making sure the code I write works rather than making sure it’s universally inoffensive to the thousands of languages, cultures, and worldviews worldwide (because it’s only a given that the code you write will contain something that offends someone, even though he might be in some small village in a remote corner of the Amazon).