Poll: Do you use renderman renderers?

Not true, trim curves are not yet supported.

3Delight NURBS

Pixie NURBS

Btw. I am not trying to bash someone I simply explained some of the difference between PRman and Pixie/Aqsis. I really appreciate OpenSource projects like Pixe/Aqsis but it is good to know their limitations.

cheers,
Bob

Hi Paul,

I made some comparisons between Aqsis and 3Delight (3Delight, because it’s the one I use). Please don’t take it negative but these tests should show that I don’t make empty statements. Anyway I really appreciate the effort you have spend on Aqsis.

3Delight NURBS
9sec

Aqsis NURBS
258sec

3Delight SDS
7sec

Aqsis SDS
33sec

3Delight DOF
15sec

Aqsis DOF
1098sec

I used identical scences, light and shaders.

cheers,
Bob

Ah, yes. Sorry. I never even use them so I kind of forgot about that… :o

I can’t see any of those images. Would you mind sending the content as RIB/SL so that I can see the comparison for myself. This is much more the sort of feedback that is worthwhile giving. As an Open Source project itself, I’m sure the developers of Blender would understand the importance of empirical evidence and proving data. Without it, statements such as those we’ve seen are simply negative without reason. With this information we can find out why.

I’d still like to point out thought that these are just speed comparisons, stability has been but to question but not qualified. In fact my own experience suggests that often Aqsis is more stable than 3Delight, as proven by the regression test suite that Aqsis includes.

Thanks

Paul Gregory

I will PM you.

cheers,
Matthias

How do these renderman renderers compare to Blender internal or YafRay? I only stay away from external renderers due to export problems, lack of support for certain (animation) feature’s in Blender.

I alway’s would have liked renderman support in Blender but there wasn’t. I dont use renderman for this reason, if there was a YafRay like intergration I would. So if the poll read 'Would you like renderman support in Blender", if that was the question it would be yes.

MadMesh

Nope - but I’d really like to use Aqsis, Pixie or 3Delight.

However, the current export mechanism looks too complex to me. It starts with the installation of the export script. If I look at the Neqsus/BtoR page it says thet I’ll have to install CgKit 2 and PyProtocols. So I have to look for the right binaries for my operating system and Python version. The PyProtocols are available as .egg file, I have to search for a way to install them. This might be okay if you are a developer, but certainly not if you’re ‘just’ an artist.

I decided to wait until there is a more seamless integration in Blender.

Frankly if you’re unwilling to take the time to install the software required to get Renderman functionality, the chances are extremely high that you’re going to be unwilling to really work with, and capitalize on, Renderman’s power to begin with.

Renderman isn’t about “give me an easy UI”, it’s about power for the artists AND the technical directors AND the compositors AND the lighting people. It’s an entire system designed to allow many or few (or even one) person to create a stunning image or animation.

I’ve done my best with Neqsus/BtoR to provide easy interfaces for things, but the fact remains that “seamless” integration, WRT blender, will never be a reality. Renderman is far too flexible a rendering system for all possibilities and methods to be covered within a single package. Even XSI’s and Maya’s integration features don’t cover everything, and they’ve been years in development.

My current path sees the Neqsus/BtoR UI remaining as a python script, with extra tools as they’re made available. The new Render API rewrite will help the situation a great deal by providing ways of getting around performance bottlenecks. What it will not do is provide a “seamless” integration method for geometry and materials. It’s two completely disparate methods of thinking about rendering and animation.

So you might find yourself waiting quite a while for seamless integration…if I were you, I’d invest a bit more research into if you’re really interested in using it.

ShortWave

There’s another point that I feel is being overlooked as well, that being the “comparison”. Each Renderman renderer is slightly different, implementation-wise. Informed users of renderman renderers will try to choose the right renderer for what they’re doing. Discussions that I personally had with various TDs at Siggraph led me to believe they do exactly that. Some things are excellent to do with PRMan, and others are great to do with 3Delight, and I even heard mention of Pixie being in use by professional users for certain things. Each renderer will do things differently, and there will be situations where one particular item may render more efficiently on Pixie than Aqsis, and vice-versa. The trick there, of course, is to use what’s available to you, and learn where they excel.

It’s the same concept when you consider how any artist evaluates brushes, paints, etc. They use the right tool for the job at hand.

ShortWave

There’s also the fact that the artist can have different styles. Like one artist might use Aqsis because it has things that Pixie might not, and Pixie is more of a realistic renderer.

Photorealisim isn’t the only style.

Very good point.

Photorealism, as a style, is also very dependent upon the artist in question.

Thinking about “3D art”, it seems to me that a large number of blender users are actually more in the business of attempting to duplicate reality(Not that there’s anything wrong with that!) and less in the business of creating their own interpretation of reality (and/or UN-reality).

I sometimes fear that the drive for “better GI and AO” and all those others things required in the search for greater “photorealism” will trend towards leaving the people who are creating great art without those tools somewhat out in the cold.

ShortWave

While GI and AO are great developments in computer graphics, it’s only gotten attention in the past decade, and in fact over the past few years it seems everybody is trying to get that look now. I am not putting them down at all, in fact it is very cool to play with. But I started in 3D about 12 years ago, with basic 3D software. There was no such thing as GI and AO then. So in turn I was able to learn the tricks of the trade to get good results with basic lighting methods. In the past 3 years of working with RenderMan, my understanding of how lighting code works has also increased, and thus my skill at lighting has increased as well.
The movies that “made” CG appealing to the big studios did not use these advances in CG lighting, they used tricks to get the shot as photoreal as possible with the least amount of rendering time, of course using RenderMan which at that time did not even have the ray tracing code it has today. And from what I hear, these tricks are not being abandoned by the big guys any time soon simply because of speed.

I kinda lost my train of thought, but I have to agree with Shortwave. In fact with my short I am making using Blender and Aqsis, I am striving for a stylised look and won’t be using any type of GI, simply because of the rendering time, plus I like having ultimate control over lighting. Anywho… my two cents I guess…

Are you using 3delight from Blender or via another package. If it’s via Blender, what exporter are you using?

Yeah to an extent that’s true. I actually just tried it today and it said to put the btor folder inside the .blend folder but for me, that didn’t register the btor package. On OS X that folder is inside the Blender application itself. It fails at import btor.

One way I found to install it is to do the following:

in terminal type open -e ~/.profile and hit return
enter the following: export PYTHONPATH=/Library/Python2.3/site-packages
and then drop the btor folder into /Library/Python2.3/site-packages
You have to make sure btor is lower case too.

But then I get more errors.

I’ll try and get the dependencies working so other people can try it more easily.

Yeah but they are all adhering to a standard. They are supposed to output similar images. Renderman shaders are what give you the variety of styles and all the Renderman renderers should try to be able to support all the shaders.

Just like machines took over from craftsmen. The trouble is that most companies are in the business of making money. The more that computer animation is seen as a way of making money instead of an artform, the more that people will find ways to make it look better quicker. Even Pixar are using raytracing because they couldn’t do inter-reflections with envmaps and they wanted AO. They’ve even done AO in such a way that they can render raytraced scenes as complex as scanline now. Before it would kill the machines because they don’t have enough Ram. Next Pixar’ll be using motion capture.

I tend to agree that the old-school methods warrant the accolade of being art - I already commented on some of the GI renders in the Blender gallery - but then we get back to the age old debate about what art actually is.

Believe me, I’m really not a “give me an easy UI” user, and I’m definitely willing to spend some time to install software and learn how to use new functions & tools. But sometimes I just get to my limits (for example if I would have to compile plugins that are not available as binaries for my system).

Agreed - I installed CgKit 2 and the PyProtocols .egg for Python 2.4 (I found out that I have to use ez_setup.py to install them, this was the point where I stopped the last time I tried to use BtoR). I put the BtoR.py script into my Blender scripts path and the other BtoR files into scripts/bpymodules/btor. I started Blender, ran RtoR from the Render scripts and defined a search path for the Aqsis shaders. To use the SpaceHandler script, I had to activate ‘Enable Script Links’ in Blender - sounds logically, but this might be a useful addition to the Getting Started guide.

The material editor is working fine, I’m able to access object properties from within BtoR and I found out how to define lights - I’m finally able to render using Aqsis :). By the way, how do I render animations using BtoR?

@thoro: Animation is currently disabled while I work my way past figuring out the best methods of caching shadowmaps, and how best to handle all the various options within blender for animation. Modifiers, shape keys, walkcycles and other such beasts are especially tricky(not to mention getting some motion blur happening.).

I’m glad you found the light stuff on your own, but I should perhaps focus on some documentation so more people can more easily get up and running.

@osxrules: Thanks for the help on debugging the osx part. Once I get my G5 back to where I want it, then I’ll work on getting better install docs for that as well (of course I’m happy to work with whatever you come up with.)

ShortWave

1 Like

No, I use Cinema4D to export my scenes.

cheers,
Bob