Poll: What OS are you using?

I didn’t know where to post this, since it is partially about Blender, so not of topic, but it isn’t news/a discussion either…

I wondered if people who use Blender, use OS X/linux/freeBSD etc.
I run both Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows, for Blender I always use Ubuntu. I can’t stand the windowed mode in windows (you can window it in linux as well, but it is not standard).

So: What operating system are you using? (You can select two or more OSs)

I run both ArchLinux .72 and Windows XP SP2…though who would even think about voting for windoze when the have a wonderful Linux machine to vote for. :slight_smile: (translation: I like my Arch system more than Windows :p)

I run both Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP SP2.

When I use Blender I usually use Linux, but I’m having some trouble with my video card drivers right now, so…

I agree. I haven’t tried Arch myself, but since you can use gnome on it, it’ll probably be good (for the non linuxers, gnome makes the “looks” of the operating system. But since it is open source, there are many alternatives.)

I find linux being a much better platform to program on as well, with applications like gedit comming pre-installed.

And for the ones who vote linux and/or “others…”, what distro/operating system are you using?

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=58529&highlight=operating+system
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18040&highlight=operating+system
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=53455&highlight=operating+system

Common Threads and Polls

I’m mainly a Mac user, doing everything on my iBook, since I bought it some month ago.

On my server, I use Debian, normally the Stable release (atm. called Sarge). Its really nice and offers a secure base setup. Haven’t quiet used it much, since I got the iBook, through. Why to fake a Mac, if you can get one :slight_smile: .

I use Windows at home and Mac at school. I like Mac so much better…

Yes this has been done before, but never with a multiple choice poll! That could change the results…

Alex

I thought some users might use multiple OSs…

And to avlex, why is using linux (I think you mean linux is faking, if not please say so) faking a mac?

Yes this has been done before, but never with a multiple choice poll! That could change the results…

Why do people care about this stuff? Blender runs on plenty of OSs. Either you’re happy with it or your not. If not and you suspect the OS is the problem then ask the questions or try a different OS if possible. If it is running well, then why do you care what OS I have?

Are you planning on writing OS-dependent plug-ins or something?

Sorry, but I just don’t get it :confused:

Windows here. I’m not a windows user by default (i prefer Arch linux) but I’m forced to use it at the moment.

I use Kubuntu Dapper Drake (test version).

I like the big massive repository of software, for Kubuntu.

It is released today…

And for the “archers”. What is the benefit of arch linux above other distros? I couldn’t really find out on the website…

Guess it’s just curiosity. Blender is open source, so I wondered if there would be many more linux users here, since it is open source as well.

But you aren’t forced to look here, I thought my title was self-explaining.

I thought multiple choice might make a difference.

I voted Linux, Windows and Mac.

I have a Windows/Linux Desktop, a Windows Laptop, and my son (3-1/2) has a Linux Desktop and an iMac (which I haven’t hooked up yet).

I’m running Blender on the Windows/Linux Desktop and the Laptop. I have noticed that running Blender on Linux is considerably slower than when I run it on Windows. Probably because I don’t know how to tweak the video settings as well in Linux as I do in Windows. :shrug:

Is your son three and a half years old, with two PCs?!

And yes, it might be slower. But that’s not tweaking, it’s the absence of drivers I think. It is (a bit) slower on my laptop as well when I’m running linux, but I like linux so much that I do not care about it (and there are good drivers for i915GMs)

Don’t get me wrong, I really like Linux and everything around it, but look at Gnome’s file manager Nautilus and then at Apples Finder for example, you’ll know, what I mean. As well, where do you think, the idea behind drop shadows, that nice kxdocker or even kompose are from? Its the right way out of this ways too old X and terminal apps, but the original is even better :slight_smile: . Thats, what I ment with fakin, not in a bad way.

Edit: It’s not Linux itself, that tries to fake Mac OS X, just many apps around it.

I use OS X, windows xp and debian etch.

Yeah, Chantz has two computers. He’ll be four in December. I had to get him off my computer. He’s been playing on them for over a year now. He started on my Desktop, playing UT2k4, some Doom2, and Formula 1 2002. He does awsome in F12k2. With minimal ‘driving aids’ he can stay on the track, brakes for corners, and has an uncanny ability to aim for and hit moving targets! (other cars :smiley: )

I don’t think I have to worry about him being a geek, though, cuz he rides a 50cc quad by himself pulling a trailer with his electric dirt bike strapped in the back more than he plays on his computers. He thinks he’s going to Glamis or something… :rolleyes:

Sorry, had to ramble. BOT :slight_smile:

And yes, it might be slower. But that’s not tweaking, it’s the absence of drivers I think. It is (a bit) slower on my laptop as well when I’m running linux, but I like linux so much that I do not care about it (and there are good drivers for i915GMs)

I think I ef’d myself. I got that free version of Linspire about a year ago. Been running it with XP on my Desktop and I put it on another box by itself and gave it to my son. It doesn’t even have a compiler! :eek:

I’m thinking about starting over with another flavor, but I think I’ll wait 'til I get a bit more comfortable using Linux.