Polycount, an addon helping to know about your scene… polycount

Polycount, a Blender 2.8 addon helping to know about your scene… polycount.

Download available on Github, along with the documentation.

polycount UI

Usage

• Refresh button recompute calculation. It’s not automatic due to performance reasons
  • only selected checkbox allow toogle computation between all meshes in active View Layers or only mesh in current selection
  • clicking on columns name toogle or change meshes sorting
  • current active objet is visible in the Object column, and can be changed by clicking on a name
  • * char on Verts column tell you if if the mesh is out of mesh vertex buffer limit (65 535)
  • ± char on Tris column tell you if nGons are in the place
  • Area is shown as m².

As you can see on the Github readme, there is an annoying limitation, which I still can’t fix with my Python skills, so if someone knows about how to simulate on a bmesh the effect of an edge split modifier, I’m open for any help! :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Thank you.
Could you put an option to put the Total count on top of the list? When I select many objects, I have to scroll down quite far.

Thank that’s going to be handy since i hate always having to go in edit mode to see the faces count of a mesh.

Cool add-on!

About the vert count, I am not sure, but maybe you can use

bm.from_object(obj, bpy.context.evaluated_depsgraph_get())

instead of

bm.from_mesh(obj.data)

to get the stats with modifier.

2 Likes

I hope you can figure it out how to count the real vertex. I am not a coder, so I cant really help you… Seeing the real vertex count directly in blender would be really helpful so we no longer need to export the model to a game engine to see that information. The addon is still very useful, thank you.

3 Likes

That’s a nice point, I’ll do that.

Thanks for the tips, I can add a checkbox to take into account modifiers or not.

1 Like

100%. On card vert count is what matters in engine. Duplicate verts based on smoothing/material/UV splits.

Was there ever a Blender 2.79 version of this addon?

Now that my other addon is released, this become my high priority task :wink: I’m already have few leads to investigate.

Hmm actually, kind of, but not no longer maintened. At this time it was merge with my other addon, named “Nothing-is-3D tools”, you can get it using the zip below if you want: nothing-is-3d.zip (4.9 KB, screenshot)

3 Likes

Thanks very much

Sorry for my development frequency, as it’s on my spare time I’m not very efficient :smiley:

However, it seems I’m ready to get real vertex count, thanks to glTF developpers. I need to do better tests, but this snippet seems to work well with this tiny test scene, 'never been so close to the victory :fist:t6:

I will not support objects shaded as “flat”, only “smooth”.

3 Likes

It’s looking great, I can see there’s a problem for “mod-bevel_verts-should-be-10”.
If you can do it, it’s going to be really handy.

Using the dev-version of today, it should be great ('still need some test and 3D engine stats comparison, but I think it’s already functionnal).

New release, vertex count should be more accurate now: https://github.com/Vinc3r/Polycount/releases/tag/v2020.03.23

4 Likes

New release: https://github.com/Vinc3r/Polycount/releases/latest/

• New: addon have now Preferences
    • Some stats (Verts, Tris or Area) can be disabled
    • Large numbers can be trimed
  • New: fast options (next to Only selected checkbox)
    • Ability to select nGons objects
  • Documentation moved from Readme to Wiki
2 Likes