polygon count

hello.
I am at the early stages of designing a game.
I want to know whether or not there exists some numbers about the maximum polygon count I must use in a scene.
if there is nothing.
I must do some tests.
ok for example if the result of tests is 1 million (just an example) for a simple scene with no physics, no extra code & … . how much I must put away for a first person action game?
thanks for your help

I want to know whether or not there exists some numbers about the maximum polygon count I must use in a scene.

No, there isn’t a polygon limit in blender. However, keep in mind that the more polygons you use, the slower your game will run.

happy to here this:

No, there isn’t a polygon limit in blender.
however this was not my question! I described it bad.

keep in mind that the more polygons you use, the slower your game will run.
this is obvious, I think.

now could you or any one else tell, what he(she) thinks about this:

for example if the result of tests is 1 million (just an example) for a simple scene with no physics, no extra code & … . how much I must put away for a first person action game?

add any condition you think is necessary.

It depends on how many objects/actors/logic will be in the game. If you’re concerned about it, I would advise you use all low-poly models, then once the logic is all in go back and add more detail.

It all depends on your hardware and OS. Blender game engine’s performance will only utilize a fraction of your hardware’s rendering capability due to the fact that the code isn’t modern.

Therefore, if you can acheive 2,000,000 triangles at 60fps in a modern day game engine, then I would estimate that your triangles goal in Blender GE should be about 90,000 if logic and AI and animation isn’t very complex. However if you have lots of logic and AI and complex rigs and animation you would probably want to cut that 90,000 triangles in half in order to maintain 60 fps.

However, the good news is that with new BGE GLSL you can apply normal maps to your models! Which basically means there is virtually no limit to how much detail you apply to your models as long as you apply them via normal maps as opposed to the actual geometry of the mesh!

But at the same time the complexity of your various types of maps will also have a toll on the performance. If you have a good GPU then you should be okay as long as you don’t apply 6 types of maps to every eyeball, shoelace, and blade of grass.

Yes I suggest doing some testing.

The Blender GE can be as humble as a Nintendo DS or as modern as a Nintendo Wii (and beyond) - it just depends on a LOT of different variables.

Hello
500-1000 for “important objects/characters”
10 000 - 20 000 for each scene/game
Do a search in the net for techniques/methods dating from year 2000, more or less
they’ll work very well in the Blender game engine!
Bye

@ kay_Eva :

smaller than 1/20 ? it’s bad. I think I have read somewhere that BGE’s rendering engine is going to be replaced OGRE in a project. if it happens I think this value may have a good improvement.

@ others:
thanks. really helped.

The OGRE project was abandoned… instead their implementing Crystal Space GE into the BGE. That’s what the main point of apricot is.

smaller than 1/20 ? it’s bad.
Don’t you mean 1/2 ? I don’t know where you got the 20 from. =P

90,000/2,000,000 will become smaller than 1/20. isn’t it true? :rolleyes:

The purpose of Apricot is to improve the pipeline to other engines (mainly CS). However during the project it seems that the priorities have changed a bit, now they are improving the BGE also. And nobody is implementing Crystal Space to the BGE.

yes, it would be about 1/22

well these numbers have all changed now.

I normally get about 30fps @ 2.6million triangles in CryEngine 2 (Ultra High settings),
now in Blender Game Engine I can get probably about the same thing with basic logic and animation. However if logic is particularly complex the engine still takes a very large hit. So as it stands, for modern GPU rigs, the logic is probably the biggest performance hit.

SO… logic aside, I can get 2 million triangels at 60fps with GLSL and animaiton in blender.