Polypaint in Blender! Its happening :D

No but thank you for trying to help. Thats what I outlined above but the face mode is faster but its still an inferior workflow compared to simply having the brush do this automatically.

Heres a bit faster way to do the above. Enter face select mode via that same button or the hotkey m.
Press a a few times to make sure faces are unselected.
Press c to get circle select tool. Draw on faces to select.
Now you’re stuck in circle select unless you hit esc key, even selecting menus won’t get you out of the mode, like if I wanted to click a color it won’t do anything yet, it has no “intent” logic.
You would then paint as normal against the vertex, or use hotkey shift + k

An ideal way to do this would be my original request idea a toggle switch, another way could be a hotkey to a mode like circle select, it automatically selects just like c key but it also fill the color accordingly to the mix mode of the normal vertex brush. So its magically running shift+k essentially and does not keep things selected.

Another issue of the face selected mode is the color representation.
Its IF you have a material on the object, shadeless toggled on, and Vertex Color Paint toggled on, and in Viewport shading mode Material. When entering face select mode it goes back to shaded light mode which screws up the color fill you will get with paint. You have to unselect all to actually see the true colors. That needs to be removed entirely and just use the outline as the selected. Not sure if this is a considered a bug.

The selected faces are in the actual color, and the deselected faces are muted. This way, when painting you can sample the color in the masked area with S and get color that will match. It used to be that each face was outlined individually, and this was changed to only outline the area.

I don’t agree that the brush should select and paint at the same time - if you want to do that, turn off masking and just paint. If you want to mask off something to not be painted, select it and then ctrl-I to invert selection and then paint everywhere else.

I have to admit I haven’t gotten to try this patch yet, but it looks amazing already.

Im not arguing for a change in behavior instead a toggle button, thats all. It would make sense to you if you’re thinking about sharp colored low poly no gradients style. See hexels trixels apps online maybe that would help.

Or like if you were holding a plastic model and painting on a flat edge a full coat of paint. If you had to constantly apply masking paper/paint around the model to then allow to paint the open surface and then peel the masking off and repeat it would be entirely unsuitable for a simple task to get sharp edges compared to simply using a brush turning the model a bit and using the brush again.

zammyZimZam:

Recently made a script that might function to your tastes: https://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?412358-adding-color-to-selected-vertices&p=3131005&viewfull=1#post3131005

The reason I suggested using the edit mode was because I thought you wanted more robust face selection tools. Border select and circle select are available in vertex paint mode but a whole range of other tools are available in edit mode.(Its not fast just a lot of options; Example: Select faces by face angle, Select Random, Side of Active etc… )

I get what you are looking for now, you want a tool which works like “Polygon Fill” in Substance painter. You can set if you want it to fill only triangles, faces, uvs islands or the whole mesh.

Good news for poly-paint hopefuls.

The patch is almost to the point where it can be committed to master, it just needs to have a few issues resolved first (as pointed out by Julian’s testing).

I am really hopeful about the patch as well, but one should make sure the only effects of its inclusion is better performance and better tools.

Thanks ericblender for newest build. For me, it contains same bugs and problems that i described to nathan from beggining of this thread, so its not good that its about to get to trunk. This will be not so useful as i expected. Todays approach based on concept by Ramon Nunez.

1 Like

Another test, based on cammy concept by Bogdanbl4.

You’re on a roll pachupp!!!
Love those pieces.
#107 looks super solid! Seems a bit like a quick sketch, but everything is in it’s place.
Nice forehead on the girl.
Way to go, keep on rocking.

Could you re-summary those bugs so others can test them? I assume you can’t file a bug yet until its in branch in their code repo system.

You can follow the development here https://developer.blender.org/D2150 if you cannot build i can provide a build and on that link it is only for development, you can test and add feedback or award to encourage Nat :slight_smile:

I would love a build to test with. win or OS X is great. Cant set up dev environment right now.

Here is a win64 with December modification note that masking is not working and when you have more than 2M poly your first stroke will be really slow. those are the known issues in vertex painting side. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B62B6BmVbltVelF3dkpKZ1JYX2M

In January Nate did some bug fixing but it introduced some more bugs, so i don’t upload that build.
If you find a bug or so just post here so other can test as well :wink:

Enjoy the speed and have fun :slight_smile:

Is there a way to test this in Linux?

Sorry Bro, i build only windows, may be if you drop to irc some Linux fanboy might provide a build for you.

You could build it yourself, what distro are you on ?

I was really interestin in testing it. I’m in a ubuntu 16.04 machine

Ok, I’m on Arch Linux, so there might be differences, but basically you should be able to just open a terminal in the directory in which you want to build blender, and then do:

git clone https://git.blender.org/blender.git
cd blender/
git checkout soc-2016-pbvh-painting
mkdir build && cd build/
cmake -C…/build_files/cmake/config/blender_release.cmake …
make

and after the compilation the blender binary should be in the bin directory

note that there may be some other things you need to set when configuring, on Arch I need to set some python variables:

cmake -C…/build_files/cmake/config/blender_release.cmake … -DPYTHON_LIBPATH=/usr/lib -DPYTHON_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/python3.6m -DPYTHON_LIBRARY=python3.6m -DPYTHON_VERSION=3.6

anyway, not to pollute this thread, if you come across any problems just pm me!

Sorry…Double post.

Hi all, Great job, nathan.
Is this designed to work with cycles at all? Cycles is still missing from the new build. Or only Blender internal can be used for baking?

Also how do u use this script. I copied it into a text editor and saved as .py file? Problem is it’s not working. Any one knows how to set the script up? When I right click to save script from the site, it saves out as a .php file.

EDIT: Works now. No worries.