Poor Christmas

What a powerful image. Great use of depth of field.

heh I definitely understand that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: it’s good to move on so you don’t get burned out and lose creativity or rather the momentum of it :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m confused. Could you explain to me what’s going on?

henrymop: What do you mean?? Do you want to say that you don’t understand the image??

-William

The takeaway from these types of images is that Christmas shouldn’t be all about increasing your material wealth (did you know that some people go to stores on Black Friday just for the purpose of buying random stuff?).

Our church this year is going to preach the idea of giving more to those in need than what you spend on yourself, a good idea in my opinion.

I noticed at the right hand knots at the joints, like from gout, so I could imagine, the stiffness is on purpose…?

touching! glad it is not carol who had once bitter heart… By the way , love the quote you were saying… gotten to share…

When you see the head only, He looks strong, very thick neck. It looks to me like it does not fit the body. When I clicked on this I thought he was going to be big and strong.
Looks good. I hope he gets a job and a home.

Good rendering and atmosphere, but the model have some problems with anatomical proportions…head is too big (the total height should be, more or less, 7,5 times the head), the neck is huge, and minor other things. Despite this, it is a very good job.

good work on the face, and emotion in it. i like it congrats on a job well done. I would say if you ever go back, work on he legs metrail could use more detail, and the right hand seems off, note sure why but it just dose, still great work!

What is it with his neck ?
First I thought, it’s much to large in diameter, but also it seems to be doubled somehow.

Greetings Martin

This is a good image that makes a powerful point – using its visual simplicity and good acting on the part of the character. His chiseled expression is realistic, as is his pose. You immediately see that he is a hungry man who isn’t asking for your sympathy. He’s wearing a Santa hat, which simply comes across that he’s determined to “make it” somehow. The exposure and so-forth are very clean.

It takes several seconds for this image to really “sink in,” and it does “sink in” because you didn’t try to bash the viewer’s head in with the points that this image can make. So, it comes across as real, not hackneyed or stereotyped. Very well done.

Very well done work! But the message in that image is the icing on the cake! Congrats

Is this cycles or internal? Cause there’s something off about the skin, not enough subsurf modifier.

Hello again!!! Thank you so much to everyone who commented :slight_smile:

KuroOokami: I used cycle render for all! For the skin, I’m curently working on a really good and realisic shader base on render pass and render in internal and cycle (my next project will be about this subject…) :slight_smile:

-William Paré-Jobin

Beautiful image and sentiment. My main suggestion would be to match the weighty feel of his head/neck with his right hand. I’d have moved the arm closer to his body and maybe made his hand slump in his pocket; even though that would end up hiding the hand. It’s just the feeling I get when I see people in hoodies. Kind of a closed body language… guarded maybe. Love the character of this guy!

Wow. Now, disregarded the (rather minor in the big picture) flaws such as the neck in particular, the hand, and the skin texture…

Alot of renders (particularly on this site…but even on the “more professional” CG community websites) look pretty but are kind of devoid of emotion. I like how subdued this image is, and how almost all of the “message” of the image comes from the color palette, his slack posture, and his facial expression.

I wasn’t homeless during the holidays…but I’ve been homeless and in a shelter for several months, and in rehab and separated from family during the holidays. This image kind of sent shivers down my spine…

ANYWAY, I am curious about the snow flakes on his shirt. How were those accomplished? Often, at least with particles, they only stick onto surfaces with normals facing directly upwards. But here, they appropriately stick to the front of his shirt, although in lesser number. How was this accomplished? The effect looks perfectly natural.

WilliamP: I’m just not exactly sure what you’re trying to get at. Let me see if I’m right: The picture says to “Stop thinking about yourself and what you get” or “Think about those other than your family”?

Wow, this is a great render. My only suggestion is that you might want his right hand to be holding onto the bowl as well. I think that on a cold night he would probably try to warm his hands on a hot bowl.

Touching. Well done!