Popular Habitation Project - Urban walkthrough

I finished recently a work in Game Engine.

This work is about architecture and urbanism project developed to the related class is University Federal Fluminense (Niterói / RJ - Brasil).

I used a lot of resources and tutorials from BlenderArtists.org forum, thank you all !!!

As a feedback, now I’m sharing the final file - http://www.4shared.com/file/49985392/5d03475b/ProjHabPop_US.html

If you could open-it and tell me (us) what should be done different, what is wrong with the solutions I found, I will appreciate a lot.

I uploaded some previous animation in YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0m3MoPB-lo), but the final version is only in blender file(v.2.45).

Regards,
Dalai Felinto

About me:
I´m a 23 years old architecture student from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
I´m going to study English in Canada in beginning of 2008 and I’m looking for some temporary job Blender related.

If you know someone that maybe can help me, PLEASE tell-me ;)

[edit: I got it :)]
msn:[email protected]

http://blenderecia.orgfree.com

See you;

edit: pictures below

WOW, man really nice. you are very skilled with blender, though one time I got lost in the buildings (you can drive through them).

Do you know how to save it as a .exe?

Hi, thanks for your words :slight_smile:
I’m still learning Blender a lot, but fortunately learn Blender is always a pleasure.

To export .exe you need to Save Runtime (in File menu).
I already did this, and you can download the file here: http://www.4shared.com/file/49985392/5d03475b/ProjHabPop_US.html

And finally some images I forgot to upload :):
http://bp0.blogger.com/_1VLvmSmhA8c/R1wiXMzaDpI/AAAAAAAAAD8/YaZb7mPDxCs/s320/img10.jpg

http://bp1.blogger.com/_1VLvmSmhA8c/R1wiXczaDqI/AAAAAAAAAEE/EH5fTjh9wZE/s320/img07.jpg

Cheers,
Dalai

Hello
About blender work:
Nice, quite well done…If you “shrink” the soil textures ( scale up the UV verts) they’ll look better, probably?!
And the car wheels don’t turn?!
The architecture side?
Well, you know much more than me, for sure, but it looks
a bit monotonous?!
But it’s the same problem everywhere…poor don’t
deserve much…! :slight_smile:
Bye and keep blending!

Hello Oto
thanks for your comments.

A quick reply:

1. I did some tests with wheels rotation, but I don’t spend too much time in this because all the model was very big (poligons count) and the fps isn’t so good. So I decided to relax and concentrate in low poly modelling.

2. Once again, to texturize the houses, I use the same mesh and texture to let the model fast. Is monotonous, but this work was presented in a generic computer with medium Graphic Card (we are talking about a public university, you know), and gonna be presented in CEHAB (Stadual Company Habitation) as a co-partner in this classwork (not only my work, but of all the students).But maybe I could improve this without too much computer resources …

We have three differents house plans, but I choose to show only one (for the reasons above).

But it’s the same problem everywhere…poor don’t
deserve much…! :slight_smile:
Unfortunately, in Brazil we don’t have too much good projects related to improve popular habitational patterns. We have common problems (few money, politic problems, …) but always the same hegemonic solution (the federal investiment don’t allow too much changes in original plans).
At least in my course (UFF) we can discuss and experiment deal with our own reality. That’s it, this is a project based in real datas, real client and some academics reflections.
It means houses with less then 50,0m² and not so much variations … :frowning:

I hope this can be changed some day …

Nice to see BGE used in architecture presentation. I think its pretty solid work. Simple but effective and it runs very good at least in my computer. Maybe you could add some additional vegetation between the houses to cheer up the atmosphere. How about some background noise? I think you could add some ambience, like children playing, birds singing etc. You could also bake lightmaps which would make the scene look much more realistic with little if any loss in performance.

You have quite a lot of objects there: about 850 which stresses physics engine (fps profile shows 30% physics overhead which is quite a lot for this kind of “game”). I suggest you disable the physics engine altogether (World buttons), because your game doesn’t seem to use physics/collisions anyway. This saves huge amount of CPU cycles.

Oh, and by the way enable ‘Generate Display Lists’ (Game menu) - it speeds up the rendering of static scenery considerably. Then you could also subdivide the streets and terrain and get crisper textures.

I’d love to do something like that for my landscape architecture studies, but sadly BGE isn’t very good at rendering lots of vegetation and as in your case, the computers in my university aren’t exactly the most powerful ;). So far I’ve settled to rendering stills and just recently bought Vue because of it’s vegetation rendering capabilities, although I still love Blender the most :cool:. And you’re example proved there’s still hope :slight_smile:

We are talking about what? Join all the houses in a single mesh then bake some radiosity or AO as texture image?

You have quite a lot of objects there: about 850 which stresses physics engine (fps profile shows 30% physics overhead which is quite a lot for this kind of “game”). I suggest you disable the physics engine altogether (World buttons), because your game doesn’t seem to use physics/collisions anyway. This saves huge amount of CPU cycles.

I tried that before, but when happen car collision, the purple car fly (without gravity)…
Maybe some floor constrain instead :rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way enable ‘Generate Display Lists’ (Game menu) - it speeds up the rendering of static scenery considerably. Then you could also subdivide the streets and terrain and get crisper textures.

I tryed that but didn’t see any results … let’s try again :slight_smile:

I’d love to do something like that for my landscape architecture studies, but sadly BGE isn’t very good at rendering lots of vegetation and as in your case, the computers in my university aren’t exactly the most powerful ;). So far I’ve settled to rendering stills and just recently bought Vue because of it’s vegetation rendering capabilities, although I still love Blender the most :cool:. And you’re example proved there’s still hope :slight_smile:

Vue is impressive :spin:
But Blender is good for me, I’m looking for GLSL now, to try to improve quality of the “game”.

Thank you for comments,
Dalai

Yes, but maybe join only houses by block because you seem to use one terrain texture per block also. Then bake AO to the terrain texture, maybe sun shadow also (btw, where’s your sun?).

I tried that before, but when happen car collision, the purple car fly (without gravity)…
Maybe some floor constrain instead :rolleyes:
Sorry, I didn’t notice the purple car was dynamic. You could instead use IPO to move it and disable physics. Of course you can’t then anymore collide with the car, but maybe its not very sensible to sacrifice so much performance just to have one car that you can collide with… Although if you join all the buildings in block together you also get better performance without disabling physics. It may run good now, but you can add more detail if you do this.

I tryed that but didn’t see any results … let’s try again :slight_smile:
You didn’t see results if it already ran fast enough or physics took too much cpu time. This option doesn’t affect physics performance. But with it you can increase detail (polygon count, textures).

Vue is impressive :spin:
But Blender is good for me, I’m looking for GLSL now, to try to improve quality of the “game”.
Just keep in mind that the computers in your school might not support GLSL. It needs OpenGL 2.0 support from graphics card. When you run a Blender game with shader there should read at least GL_VERSION: 2.0 in Blender console.

Just a quick note:

I’m very busy those days, and can’t improve my presentation.

I really wanna try the “tips” posted above, but probably January gonna be a better time.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and knowledgment, and keep around :slight_smile:

maybe sun shadow also (btw, where’s your sun?).

Sun? Yeah, I should try to create some.

Just keep in mind that the computers in your school might not support GLSL. It needs OpenGL 2.0 support from graphics card. When you run a Blender game with shader there should read at least GL_VERSION: 2.0 in Blender console.

I’m thinking to do some bump map to curb elevation and some “noise” in terrain bricks.

Well, this is a 2008 mission :slight_smile:

Regards, and thanks!
Dalai

Good luck.