Portable Fan

Because i’m such a “Fan” of blender. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

740 Passes
3 Days modeling time

Hope you like it. :smiley:

(Sorry about the title mess up. >.< I was trying to figure out how to make a thumbnail.)

Comments anyone? I’m feeling a bit lonely here…

Yep, that’s a fan alright. hahaha

Simple item, but seems to be well modeled. Nice lighting but boring scene. Materials are passable, but unrealistically clean.

It’s really hard to comment on something so simple. Are there specific elements you want comments on?

Well, it’s been a month since i’v started using blender and i was wondering how advanced i could make something… I decided to make a fan and i was wondering if my modeling was somewhat exceptionable. :stuck_out_tongue: It was the first time i have used the “Spin” tool so it may look a bit sketchy… The scene does look a bit boring, doesn’t it?

If i could get critiqued on the following, that would be great.

1. Modeling.
  2. Overall appearance of the fan blades.

And if you could, give me some tips on how i could create a more “Exciting” scene. Whether its adding items, composition etc.

Modeling - I think the fan blades look good. Adding detail to the base of the fan would help realism. For instance, add a couple loop cuts and extrude a loop of faces inward to simulate where two parts of plastic come together. When an item like a fan is manufactured, it is usually made in parts and then pieced together. Usually these dividing lines fall at the widest point since this makes for parts that can be easily removed from a mold. I’d also recommend some lines where the buttons are since it would be hard to manufacture such a smooth transition.

See the attached image - put dividing lines at either orange or red. Either would work. As well as at green is my suggestion.

As for making a less boring scene, perhaps some subtle background elements to guide the eye. Even with a single subject you can still add some dynamic composition. For example, something like so : http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lcxumurHtU1qaxh09o1_500.jpg

Wow thanks. :smiley: I never thought of those things before, and i’m sure i’ll use them on many more models to come.