Pose mode won't reset, white dots??

Hey everyone, I’ve already done a search on the web looking for information on this problem but I really can’t find anything. All I’m trying to do is get my rig to go back to it’s rest pose.

I’ve tried resetting all transforms on the pose model and for some reason it snaps to another pose that isn’t the actual rest pose at all.

in this screenshot you will notice some small white specks which are actually the points in which each bone joint snaps to when I go to reset the pose.

Do any of you know what this is? And how to remove this ‘set pose’ please? It’s preventing me from weight painting any other objects such as the teeth and eyes.

This is the rested pose. Notice the white specks indicating the pose in the next picture?

This is after I clear all tranforms…

Anyone know the solution to this? I can’t continue with my project if I can’t fix it -_-

I would suggest uploading the blend file so people can take a look…

I’ve attached images which shows what the problem is though?

http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/8639/greensquares.png

The editor on this forum is giving me some problems uploading my new screenshot, it says “this is not a valid image file” though the file is a PNG. Oh well, please follow the link to see if you could? :slight_smile:

The new picture shows green squares in place of the white dots, this happened when I moved the frame slider across beyond frame 1. Could this indicate what the problem may be?

You’ve attached images that show us what the problem looks like. That is not the same as attaching the file, which would let us see what is causing it to look that way.

I recommend using pasteall.org to upload your blend file.

Here’s a link, I hope you can understand my hesitation of giving away my work like this. I’d really appreciate the help though so I guess it’s worth it.

I’ve tried all kinds of stuff, I have a feeling I just accidentally hit a keyboard shortcut while in that terrible pose.

http://www.pasteall.org/blend/21177

The white dots are there because you’ve got Motion Paths turned on, but no keyframes yet. They would be lines and arcs instead of dots if you had keyframed anything. I’d just switch that off while you’re not using it.

Other than that it looks pretty good. The rest pose looks like the first of your two screenshots, and I can’t get it to malfunction the way you describe. It looks like you’ve done some editing on it since you took those shots, since the lower jaw doesn’t sit in the same place anymore.

That said, I do have a theory. Having those two bones with IK constraints in the same spot (skull and lower jaw) might cause some conflicts and screw up your rest pose. Adding one or the other of those IK constraints is probably what caused the weird dislocation you show in that screenshot. The only times I’ve ever had a rig tear itself out of alignment in the way you described, it was always because of the addition of a new IK constraint, usually either because I gave it the wrong chain length or because it was coming in conflict with a second IK constraint attached to the same chain. Everything looks fine, then you try to pose it and it all just goes to hell. You’re lucky it just warped the spine. Half the time you end up with feet on top of the character’s head.

In your case, I don’t see any real reason to use IK on the lower jaw. It doesn’t add any functionality that can’t be accomplished by simply rotating the bone. You may also have some success by using fewer bones in the neck and spine. Since you’re using B-Bones, you can segment them to get gentler curves. Instead of 7 bones in the neck for instance, try just three, each of them having two segments. Having fewer bones in your IK chain can also help get more predictable results.

Thank you! I’m really happy you’ve told me this. I honestly had no idea b-bones had a segments option, I used them just so I could see my alignments more clearly. I’ll fix the rig and remove that IK from the jaw, the only reason I created the IK for the jaw was so I had a handle to move the jaw with rather than rotating it.

I also had connected the jaw bone to the head’s pivot bone because each time I moved the head around the jaw would push itself frontward or backward making my Raptor look like he had some kind of defect :frowning:

It seems using the ‘V’ shape for the head and jaw I’ve achieved keeping the jaw following the head correctly at all times.

If you have any better ideas on this I’d be happy to learn them :slight_smile:

Thanks you again for the help, I’ll get right to it!

Yep, that’s the conflict between IK constraints I was mentioning. If you want to make the lower jaw and other bones easier to handle, look into using Bone Shapes. With a strategic shape that’s easy to grab, I think you’ll find you don’t need to use IK on the jaw.

Good work on this model. Keep it up!

Thank you, K Horseman! I’ve improved my rig quite a bit since, now it’s all working pretty well. Some weights could be blurred here and there to improve deformation on the stomach but everything else is working as expected. I also learnt how to rig the tail properly using splineIK so I’m quite proud of that currently, unfortunately though the tail rig doesn’t follow the dinosaur rig so when I move the body, everything follows except from the tail which stays put and stretches the polygons between the thighs and the beginning of the tail :stuck_out_tongue:

You solve one problem, you get more :smiley:

Thank you for the kind advice and compliments, I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Yeah, in my experience Spline IK is good for tentacles but not for tails, because it stretches. Use it for invertebrates.

Well, you shared your file, so I’ll share mine. Hopefully this will solve one of your new problems. This is the rig I tend to use for tails and tail-like things that shouldn’t stretch. I also find it easier to control than a spline IK rig.* TailDemo.blend (423 KB)

Now, speaking paleontologically, I wouldn’t recommend giving a dromaeosaurid like this a very snakey tail. They had a lot of interlocking rods between vertebrae and stiffening tendons on top of that, so they held their tails fairly rigid for balance. If you use my rig, cut it down to maybe two very long bones with two segments each, and even then try not to move it too much except to pivot it at the base.

*Yes, I know this tail rig goes against everything I said earlier about how complicated IK rigs can mess you up. Deal with it. :RocknRoll: