POSER at knock down price ..

For those interested in this app SMITHMICRO / Content Paradise are flogging POSER version 7 off at a knock down bargain price:

http://www.contentparadise.com/productDetails.aspx?id=12372

Down from $249 to $49 …

I bought it a good while back as an upgrade from 4 for €100 - download is 1.77GB with assets.

Cheers
Aidan

is this the current version? 49 dollars is a present for that.
High quality human mesh models.

At most 3d model sites you pay more than that for just one mesh model.

I am going to buy it now.

THX for this sales tip.!

No … Its Version 7, Version 8 is current.

BUT still good bang for your buck. no brainer really. A tool to have in the kit even if not using it at the mo.

PLUS a cheap in on this app as one gets future upgrade prices into the bargain.

Aidan

Anything from poser is trite and typical, its a good buy if you have a 1980’s mentality.

ok and now in English for foreigners please Jay.

what do you mean?

Good stuff! I have been drooling over poser after reading the rave reviews from years ago. I will check it out!

Wasn’t there a strange licence about it. That you couldn’t use the models for games and movies?

I know that Poser is great when drawing and making ideas. Never been sure if it could be used for commercial purpose.

no license not to use poser? that would not make sense. it would be like you cannot use photoshop for commercial work.

Which I assume will just further your record of using just pre-made items in your works? As Poser is mainly a dress-up app. using pre-made human figures and clothing;)

I won’t buy it, more freedom in making your own models than just put pre-made ones together.

…lol. Good observation skill AD!

How, uhm, do you think those models and clothes originate that get into Poser to be used?

A hint, it’s not done by little magic monkeys waving their content creation wands.:no:

I just leveraged Poser 7 and free motion capture files from Carnegie Mellon University in a recent project. I needed a silhouette of a business person walking up stairs. It worked great.

Then it occurred to me that there has been much development in the collada support in Blender 2.5. So I exported my animation to .dae format and pulled it into Blender. While there were some prop placement errors, I was quite impressed that I could get a fully rigged and animated character with animation transferred from Poser to Blender.

As far as licensing is concerned you can of course render all you want and use that in your commercial work. What you can not do is transfer mesh data into another format and re-sell it.

There has always been so much disinformation about what Poser is and what it does.

Certainly it has been used primarily to pose and animate human figures, (pre-made ones, at that). This is how it got its “trite” “trivial” “cliche” and “non-professional” descriptions and criticisms.

But, from the very beginning, I think, it has been able to import any .obj mesh, whether it be anthropomorphic or not, or just a prop or anything - and then RIGGED WITH BONES for animation within Poser, itself. Poser also has a very simple non-linear animation system that works quite well.

Actually, Poser’s joint rigging system is very very good and controllable. It is quite different and the way a character is manipulated is quite different and a little touchy. But, once you create any kind of animated mesh in Poser, (and you find Poser’s animation controls lacking), you can export these as Poser files which can be read, (and translated), by Daz Studio - a fantastic 3D animation environment. Daz controls are much more intuitive and provide ways of animating any mesh that are superior to many 3D environments.

So, for $49, Poser 7 is an incredible deal - probably the result of many years of getting a bad rap from people who know next to nothing about the software, yet love to make negative and inaccurate posts, (like Ace Dragon has just done).

Greg Smith

Ace

the hours it would take to make a full human body compared
to 47 $ having a base mesh and modifying is in my opinion a
more economical decision. I think you see this matter a little
but too much through the ideological lens.

On a project years ago we build just a base mesh and based
on that generated different versions. The same you can do
with Poser Models.

Also rather than viewing Poser 7 as a render doll program think of it as a $47 set of shears to separate the flock of sheep, frothing at the mouth for the next “Ooooo shiny!” item, from their fleece.:yes:

I like sheep…

Actually, Poser’s joint rigging system is very very good and controllable. It is quite different and the way a character is manipulated is quite different and a little touchy. But, once you create any kind of animated mesh in Poser, (and you find Poser’s animation controls lacking), you can export these as Poser files which can be read, (and translated), by Daz Studio - a fantastic 3D animation environment. Daz controls are much more intuitive and provide ways of animating any mesh that are superior to many 3D environments.

So if all these apps. from the Poser/Daz family of software is superior to Blender in almost every way. Then let’s petition to make using Blender and other open source software an international crime, who will be the one to haul Ton and Brecht to prison and shutter the Blender Institute?:stuck_out_tongue:

Considering your posts in the past I’m not surprised you’d say something like this, also gathering from so much praise by many members seen towards Daz and so much negativity lobbed towards the Blender Institute.

Ahhh, yes. The Fanboys, the fanboys. I forgot about them.

So, somehow, telling the truth about an application is automatically interpreted as an assault against your Blender idol. I forgot to expect that possible reaction. But, here it is.

Actually, there do exist other animation environments that do things better than Blender does, or ever will do - completing otherwise complex and unpleasant tasks with fewer keystrokes, fewer mind-numbing acronyms, fewer numerical text boxes and, overall, with less effort over time.

And, now that the prices of these apps are beginning to approach Blender’s “free” status, there is nothing more suitable than for Blender devotees to froth at the mouth in abject panic and irrational rage.

Greg Smith

Actually, there do exist other animation environments that do things better than Blender does, or ever will do - completing otherwise complex and unpleasant tasks with fewer keystrokes, fewer mind-numbing acronyms, fewer numerical text boxes and, overall, with less effort over time.

You know you can just click-drag the numerical boxes in Blender 2.5 and things update in real-time instead of typing in something exactly, you can also scale down and expand the interface to get the entire button text to show instead of an acronym. There’s also been work by one of the GSoC students to allow doing some painting tasks with fewer steps (okay that’s not animation, but still)

It seems to me that since you didn’t get your wish in your threads to really simplify Blender down to just the essencials and really cut down on “pesky value boxes”, that you now declare war on Blender.

Could you guys maybe stop acting like nOObs and argument on a mature level?

All those what ifs and compare this to that are pointless.

Poser is what it is, a niche program for those who do not need anything else.
Not everybody needs all the tools Blender, Maya etc has.
Poser can function much better lets say for product design where you only need
to pose an object alone, or around an imported obj file such as a product or car.
The student/designer does not want and should not learn how to master a more
complex program to do such a simple task.
And that does not downgrade poser in anyway. The same is true for Hypershot.
It is rendering for very simple requirements, but in case it would be so useless than
why is it that it replaces one big package after the next one in that industry it is
ment to be used in.

You guys have sometimes a very narrow view on a subject.

BTW I am not a fanboy of Poser, but for 47 dollars you cannot get very good
human mesh models compared to model websites like turbosquid.

That is an economical decision and not a I like this more.

Sometimes I find the level or discussion here really an embarrassment for our Blender scene.