Poser Import Addon has been revived

Quite some time ago, there was an addon allowing you to import Poser content into Blender. It was never maintained and eventually fell into disrepair.

Luckily, a fork of that addon has been created and now exists on Github HERE

I’ve tested it with Blender 2.9 and it does work. I’ve been able to import both Poser props and figures.

Any contributions to the project to help the dev would be appreciated.

6 Likes

Thanks for the add @Geep. I’m looking into how the tool will recreate the Poser materials in Blender, my first though is something like this:

@jentron Is this in regards to the native nodes in Poser or the Superfly nodes (or both)?

This is just the basic Poser values, I don’t have a running copy of Poser, I’ve got a copy of 10, but it won’t run under my current Linux/Wine environment. I added a multiply node and RGB color because I seem to remember Poser color interacted with the texture something like this.

This is the basic node setup in Eevee with ambient occlusion turned on. Posette is using the stock P4 textures.

Understood. What character props are you importing? I can take a look at the material setup in Poser if that would be ok?

I’m not loading anything in particular. Just poking around my various runtimes and choosing things at random. I took a long look at the Poser node tree stuff today (various Jesse materials) and I think, long term, loading those might be doable.

For now, I think its best to stay with the old-school materials:

Preview
  KdColor 0.148503 0.233375 0.975402 1  ### Base Color
  KaColor 0 0 0 1
  KsColor 0.142015 0.054384 0.168993 1
  TextureColor 1 1 1 1
  NsExponent 50
  tMin 0
  tMax 0  ### 1-Alpha
  tExpo 0.6
  bumpStrength 1
  ksIgnoreTexture 0
  reflectThruLights 1
  reflectThruKd 0
  textureMap NO_MAP                     ### Texture Map
  bumpMap NO_MAP                        ### Bump Map
  reflectionMap NO_MAP
  transparencyMap NO_MAP                ### Transparent Map
  ReflectionColor 1 1 1 1
  reflectionStrength 1

The keywords with hashes are the ones I’m actually using in the material setup right now. (I just committed a patch to turn on tMax.)

• Blender doesn’t have a per-material KaColor that I can see.
  • I was thinking about averaging KsColor to set specular? Principled BDSF doesn’t have a KsColor per se?
  • TextureColor - should I be using this instead of KdColor when multiplying textures? Check Posette since that generation uses this method?
  • bumpStrength - I guess I should capture it and plug its value into the bump node
  • ksIgnoreTexture ?
  • reflectThruLights and reflectThruKd?
  • ReflectionColor?
  • ReflectionStrength?

I’m very interested in thoughts about leveraging the Poser values to create good materials, whether with the node setup I have or another one. I’m trying to make the tool modular enough that we can plug in entirely different node setups without too much work as well. LIBMaterial.py takes the parser output and returns a Blender material that the importers use.