Poser

I made a poser model, but in blender it made the entire model the same material. I tried to select and L to seperate but this did not work. Is there a step to make different clothing different materials?

in edit buttons(F9) there is a materials section (3rd column, btwn layer buttons and set smooth/solid). Click the “New” button to add a new material to the mesh.

then in editmode, select all the faces (ie select the points that make up the faces) and click “assign” to give these faces the new material

To choose which material to change in material buttons, there is a button just above the colours which will now say 1Mat2 or 2Mat2 meaning 1st or 2nd material of 2. click and drag to change materials

NB: the default material for the new faces is the same datablock as the old one, so you’ll have to go “ADD NEW” in matrial buttons to see any difference

I know this. But when I try to select, it either selects ALL the verts in my object, or none. If I use the L key, it doesnt select only the hat or coat like I hoped. This is the problem. It would take days to select only the points I need for my materials :frowning:
Poser models have too many verticies :frowning:

Poser models have too many verticies

use the Decimator to reduce the poly count.

Martin

have you used the remove doubles funtion?it can reduce the vertices to half.and about the material thing you have no way out from selecting the separate vertices for separate things. SORRY :frowning:

>I made a poser model, but in blender it made >the entire model the same material. I tried to >select and L to seperate but this did not >work. Is there a step to make different >clothing different materials?

How were you going about getting the poser model into blender? if it was via DXF, try VRML. You also may have to check a box in poser that tells it to export material assigments. Also I could be wrong but I think poser uses wavefront *.obj format for the mesh data, there may be an import script for getting it directly into blender.

Hey! I used a obj script and it works great. But when I hit render my poser model turns invisible?

Hrmm, that ones a little too obscure to troubleshoot from here without looking at the blend. maybe if you posted it someone could download it an take a look ? (can’t guarentee I can, don’t know if I have time!)

:smiley:

Hey Dak!

I am currently working on a pretty extensive tutorial on using Blender and Poser interactively. I will try to post something up here when I am finished with it. Your best bet in going from Poser to Blender is exporting as a OBJ and using the OBJ python script in Blender to import it. Once you have the OBJ imported, this should give you all the various material groups as they were seperated in Poser. Trial and error here of course. I work mostly in the other direction Blender —> to Poser. But if I can help you with anything PLEASE let me know. You might also want to find a copy 3D Exploration…this is a GREAT 3D model convertor and I have found it very helpful with Poser figures as well…

have fun and I hope this helps somewhat.

Cujo31

When I have exported poser models, I have exported to 3ds, it then gives me the option to export as 1 mesh or each part as an individual mesh.

I use sometimes Poser and the best way is to use the objio.py script to import .obj files created by poser. You get an object in blender and this object has many material indexes so you only have to give the path to the picture and hit “sticky” for the texture coordinates in each index.
I’ve use it for three pictures in this page
http://www.graphinc.com/galerie3d1.htm
but I have entirelly remap models and customize then a little… :slight_smile:

CeD - http://www.graphinc.com

I heard about your problem with selecting things ie your mesh is too dense. I know 3 ways around this:

1. Select the vertices you dont want to see/dont need, and hit ‘h’. They’re hidden!! Magic!! To unhide them, use Alt-h . Using this method, you can focus on only the verts you’re interested in.

2. Scale the model up. You’ll be able to see individual vertices easier - easier to edit them! (especially when you hide all unrelevant ones!)

3. Press ‘b’ to bring up box select, then press ‘b’ again to switch to ‘brush select’ (as I call it). Click and drag on the model, and it’ll start allowing you to ‘paint your selection’. This is very cool for things like over dense models. Press ‘+’ and ‘-’ to change selection size. Use this to select the parts you’re interested in.

Hope this was some help.

LethalSideParting