Posing in pose mode, drifts from armature origin

(soletread) #1

I have noticed when posing in pose mode, the armatures origin does not follow the rig. Is this normal? Does this creat a potential problem anywhere? Basically have I done the rigging wrong?

Cheers

(theeth) #2

that’s perfectly normal and is explained by the way people usually creates animation cycle. Like in a walk cycle, for example, the character will appear to walk with his feets sliding on the floor and him stay in the same spots. After the walk cycle is done, the whole object is then animated going from point A to point B while the walking animation is repeated.

cheers,
Martin

(soletread) #3

Ok great, I think I am starting to understand…

Pose mode is used for animation blocks. Not an entire animation? To do the entire animation you must be in object mode and therefore are able to take advantage of walk cycles etc and then just move the OBJECT (the armature) along a path and the walking happens from the action set up from pose mode.

One would have to loop the action somehow then. By copying and pasting the keyframe markers in the action window.? Unlike looping an animation for a normal object like a ball which you would use the interperlation buttons from the IPO window.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Would it be incorrect to drift too far from your armatures origin in pose mode. Say for instance I wanted to do a complex action that was not going to be looped like walking up a staircase and taking a turn at the top. By that time the armatures origin is at the bottom of the staircase.

Cheers

(theeth) #4

no and yes, in that order.
No, you don’t have to copy the keyframes in the action window to loop a walkcycle (although it would work).
Yes, you can set the Action IPO’s Interpolation. For that, enter pose mode, select a bone, go to an IPO window and click the Action IPO tab. You will then have access to the IPO data for this bone (Rotation are represented as Quaternions, no Euler angles).

What you can also do, if you are using 2.25, is use the the NLA to mix the difference Action blocks, setting repeatition and path animation that way.

Since walking up a staircase is more or less (for the legs at least) a repetitive motion, I don’t see why you couldn’t be able to do a stair cycle (I know for a fact that Slikdigit made one of those some time ago).
Moving away from the pivot point isn’t really a good idea if you plan on using the NLA or doing cyclic animation, but it doesn’t matter if you want to do it manualy by copy pasting the keyframes directly.

Martin

Cheers[/quote]

(soletread) #5

OK great. Now I get it. Thanks for your detailed answer…

One last thing:

If I do a walk cycle and loop it, how do I syncronise the feet hitting the right spot on the ground so as not to look like the character is gliding but still moving his legs, like a kind of break dance, if you know what I mean.

In other words you have to get your tracking distance covered by your character, exactly the same as the distance between the two feet.

I know animation:master has a thing called stride length or something like that and that determines the distance the character moves forward per loop.

Cheers

(theeth) #6

If you do it with the NLA, there is a Stride parameter in the strip settings (select an Action strip and press the Nkey, Shift-A to add a strip).

Martin

(soletread) #7

Woooah, no way !! That’s excellent, I have everything [!]

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Cheers